WHATS THE BEST WAY TO TIME WARP A DJ SET?

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
danno2020

WHATS THE BEST WAY TO TIME WARP A DJ SET?

Post by danno2020 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:30 pm

hey guys ive tried setting the warp marks manually and have also tried the Warp from here comands and its making my songs pop. whts the best way of time warping them without causing my tunes to pop?

beachball

Re: WHATS THE BEST WAY TO TIME WARP A DJ SET?

Post by beachball » Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:14 pm

danno2020 wrote:hey guys ive tried setting the warp marks manually and have also tried the Warp from here comands and its making my songs pop. whts the best way of time warping them without causing my tunes to pop?

Do the following. Run the track through Mixed in Key (http://www.mixedinkey.com). Check the BPM and key to make your mixes flow better using harmonic mixing. If you don't want to get mixed in key, check the BPM Ableton determines and round off. Most records nowadays are digital and has a whole number BPM and do no vary in BPM especially if you are doing dance music.

Then, get rid of all warp markers and just put one on the first transient and one on the last transient. Manually type in the BPM you received from Mixed in Key. Set it to Complex Pro or complex mode. You're set :) make sure you are doing it in ASIO and under a proper buffer size, or audio drop outs and latency problems will be an issue.

danno2020

Post by danno2020 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:51 pm

beachball wrote:
danno2020 wrote:hey guys ive tried setting the warp marks manually and have also tried the Warp from here comands and its making my songs pop. whts the best way of time warping them without causing my tunes to pop?

Do the following. Run the track through Mixed in Key (http://www.mixedinkey.com). Check the BPM and key to make your mixes flow better using harmonic mixing. If you don't want to get mixed in key, check the BPM Ableton determines and round off. Most records nowadays are digital and has a whole number BPM and do no vary in BPM especially if you are doing dance music.

Then, get rid of all warp markers and just put one on the first transient and one on the last transient. Manually type in the BPM you received from Mixed in Key. Set it to Complex Pro or complex mode. You're set :) make sure you are doing it in ASIO and under a proper buffer size, or audio drop outs and latency problems will be an issue.

oh noes i havent got mixed in key nor ASIO, isnt there a way of doing it just on ableton?

danno2020

Post by danno2020 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:54 pm

beachball wrote:

SO I ENDED UP BUYING THAT MIXED IN KEY SOFTWARE, DID U WHT U SAID AND IT WS THE WORST BEATMATCH EVER. SERRIOUS DONT NO HOW I THOUGHT FOR A SECOND IT WS GNA WORK. THE TRACK HAS TO BE WARPED THROUGHOUT EITHER MANUALLY OR IN SOME OTHER WAY TO KEEP BOTH TRACKS IN SYNCH

outershpongolia

Post by outershpongolia » Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:06 am

danno2020 wrote:
beachball wrote:

SO I ENDED UP BUYING THAT MIXED IN KEY SOFTWARE, DID U WHT U SAID AND IT WS THE WORST BEATMATCH EVER. SERRIOUS DONT NO HOW I THOUGHT FOR A SECOND IT WS GNA WORK. THE TRACK HAS TO BE WARPED THROUGHOUT EITHER MANUALLY OR IN SOME OTHER WAY TO KEEP BOTH TRACKS IN SYNCH

beachball

Post by beachball » Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:49 am

danno2020 wrote:
beachball wrote:

Listen buddy, you must be not following my directions correctly. I have been DJing over 15 years and have done 60+ DJ mixes with Ableton Live starting with Version 6 for a radio show (dance music).

Most of the time Ableton will determine the proper BPM right away, sometimes it will insert a crapload of markers into your track like it varies in BPM, but most tracks are NOT variable BPM. So you get rid of the markers and and insert them on first and last transient and set the BPM to the whole number either from mixed in key or whatever Ableton determined it to be.

ALSO, do not forget to select Complex Pro warping mode from the Track warp modes.

danno2020

Post by danno2020 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:58 am

ok thanx for the advice i tried putting in markers both at the beginning and at the end plus complex pro. the pops went away but that didnt beatmatch it
so went back to my previous file the one id set markers on throughout, and switched to complex pro and it ws both beatmatched and there were no pops. so that ws wht ws making it pop so thanx again!