Wav files In Live ???....a Format Question.

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
starving student

Wav files In Live ???....a Format Question.

Post by starving student » Thu Dec 09, 2004 6:19 pm

hi I know live uses the wav format for its samples, what i'd like to know is after you record some live audio into live and then save the project, is that audio capable of being used by another app, or are those files saved in some special wav format so that they are only compatible with Live?
and i'm specificly talking about the files that are originaly recorded from scratch in live, i'm not talking about wavs from a sample library.

appreciate the help.

m-laboratories.net

just regular wavs

Post by m-laboratories.net » Thu Dec 09, 2004 6:31 pm

no, they're just regular old wavefiles - no proprietary encoding or anything like that. use them for whatever you like, in any program you like.

ethios4

Post by ethios4 » Thu Dec 09, 2004 6:33 pm

Live records standard .wav and .aif files, your choice. They can be used like any other .wav or .aif file, in any other application. Live also creates an .asd file that stores the Clip Properties associated with that sample...warp markers, transposition, volume, clip envelopes, etc... It is important to keep the .asd file with its associated sample, or you lose that information. For this reason it is best to self-contain projects you are working on....that way you won't get in trouble if you reorganize your sample library.
ps. unity vs. division is division. ;)

starving student

Post by starving student » Thu Dec 09, 2004 8:37 pm

thanks guys thats great to know. it's going to be a Live 4 christmas at my house.

ethios i doubt that you could have unity vs. division since if you have one you don't have the other, the point of my sig.

peace

ethios4

Post by ethios4 » Thu Dec 09, 2004 9:21 pm

hmm...i think you've shed some light here... its hard to express transcendant concepts through the dualistic framework of verbal expression...but then that's why we're working with music, right? Singularity...Duality...of course they're exclusive, by their very nature...i'm gonna think about this one for a bit...