Getting Rid of Folders in Macs Applications Folder?

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
bbart318

Getting Rid of Folders in Macs Applications Folder?

Post by bbart318 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 5:43 am

Not quite sure how to say it, so i'll give it my best shot.

Basically my macs applications folder looks just the way it should with just my applications logos such as Ventrilo, Google Chrome, Itunes etc.

However for example, I have my Live 8.2 Folder, Massive Folder, and WoW Folder in the applications folder too.
Where should I place these folders so that I only have the programs start-up logos appear in the applications folder.

...or is this normal? It's driving me nuts as I'm an organization freak.

xrayfish

Re: Getting Rid of Folders in Macs Applications Folder?

Post by xrayfish » Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:42 am

You can put them anywhere you like. Make a new folder, call it 'application folders' or whatever, and put the folders in there. Make an alias of each application and put the alias in your applications folder.

stringtapper

Re: Getting Rid of Folders in Macs Applications Folder?

Post by stringtapper » Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:34 pm

Be careful with moving things around with the Mac OS. It can break certain features. I used to be the same way, it was from my OS 9 days when I would have folders for different types of apps, etc. Then when I started using Logic on OS X I realized it was never being automatically updated in System Update. That's because the OS expects certain apps to be in the Applications folder in order for the auto updating to work. Shouldnt be a problem with Live though.
Unsound Designer