What are "layering" and "re-sampling"?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
seventhirtyfour

What are "layering" and "re-sampling"?

Post by seventhirtyfour » Sun Jun 05, 2011 11:05 pm

I've heard the term "layering" and "re-sampling"--as in layering synths/drum samples and re-sampling a synth--a lot and am not quite sure what they mean by definition.

If searched the net but am coming up short--could anyone enlighten me and, if you're feeling generous, give me an example of where one might do both and what these techniques are useful for? I thought I had also heard of re-sampling being done on a sample multiple times. Does that provide any certain effect or advantage?

Thanks so much in advance.

joebridge

Re: What are "layering" and "re-sampling"?

Post by joebridge » Mon Jun 06, 2011 6:44 am

Layering is literally layering a bunch of sounds on top of each other to create new sounds or fill the sound out. An example would be combining a snare/clap/crackle/rimshot to get a nice fat crack or whatever. . .

Resampling is more complicated and im too lazy to write it out. But basically if you do these things, mad club hoes will want to give you dome and make you sandwiches.

perplex

Post by perplex » Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:12 am

joebridge wrote:Layering is literally layering a bunch of sounds on top of each other to create new sounds or fill the sound out. An example would be combining a snare/clap/crackle/rimshot to get a nice fat crack or whatever. . .

Resampling is more complicated and im too lazy to write it out. But basically if you do these things, mad club hoes will want to give you dome and make you sandwiches.
i can vouch for this. i layered a kick drum so the attack could have a "snap", then i immediately resampled it. i spun around three times and clapped my hands, looked down. mad honeys all over my lap fighting for the wikky wikky wang

Cezband

Post by Cezband » Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:50 pm

:lol: I'm enjoying these responses but back to the OP's original question:

Resampling, in the Ableton Live sense, is simply to record to audio whatever is happening in some other tracks. If you've ever bounced tracks down on a 4 track you'll know what I mean. Set a blank audio track to "resample", choose input "in", arm it, press record and play and you'll find a nice little audio file being recorded which is exactly the same as whatever is playing in the other active channels.

So say you've layered a nice snare as Joebridge described, using 4 sounds on 4 channels. Then you can resample those 4 channels into the 5th channel, and work with that single resampled audio file instead of messing around with 4 channels every time you want a snare hit.
Live 7.0.18 | Axiom 61 | Launchpad | Homous | Nanokontrol | Saffire 6 | Ibanez Jazzmaster Bass | Biscuits
Soundcloud (solo stuff) | One Gear Go (my band)

seventhirtyfour

Post by seventhirtyfour » Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:18 pm

Awesome. Thanks so much guys.

Time to go get some free sandwhiches.

dusty4444

Post by dusty4444 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 3:34 pm

Cezband wrote::lol: I'm enjoying these responses but back to the OP's original question:

Resampling, in the Ableton Live sense, is simply to record to audio whatever is happening in some other tracks. If you've ever bounced tracks down on a 4 track you'll know what I mean. Set a blank audio track to "resample", choose input "in", arm it, press record and play and you'll find a nice little audio file being recorded which is exactly the same as whatever is playing in the other active channels.

So say you've layered a nice snare as Joebridge described, using 4 sounds on 4 channels. Then you can resample those 4 channels into the 5th channel, and work with that single resampled audio file instead of messing around with 4 channels every time you want a snare hit.

I understand that this will save you space , but does it change anything else. sample rate, the quality, whats really the adavantage of re-sampling,just saving space?

Cezband

Post by Cezband » Thu Jul 21, 2011 4:01 pm

dusty4444 wrote: I understand that this will save you space , but does it change anything else. sample rate, the quality, whats really the adavantage of re-sampling,just saving space?
weeeelllll it's kinda just about workflow really, it's another option for how to juggle your sounds to use them effectively. One the one hand, yeah, it's just easier if you've resampled a layered snare that you really like and if you want to use it anywhere you just drag in that one sample. It simplifies the process.

But it's also got creative uses - say you've got a midi track of a saw wav, bit of phaser, some long reverb...You resample that, it means that the phaser and reverb are now built into the audio file you're working with. So you can go in and surgically chop it up, move pieces around, and the precise amount of phase at that particular point in the audio will be exactly the same wherever you move that piece... You can do weird beat stretching and reversing stuff that you couldn't do with the midi track...

I saw a technique that Tom Cosm uses in one of his videos where he makes a regular synth lead, drops a bit crusher, resamples onto track 1, takes the bit crusher off, puts on a saturator instead, resamples onto track 2, repeat with loads of effects, then chop each resampled track into pieces and line them up along one unified track. So you listen back and hear mega crazy glitchy sounds, insane effects jumping in and out, dry/wet all over the place...imagine automating that, then deciding you want to change one bit entirely. Easy with resampled audio, total nightmare with midi tracks with huge amounts of automation.

Hahaha I went on for ages, you can tell I'm bored at work. :D Sorry for rambling!
Live 7.0.18 | Axiom 61 | Launchpad | Homous | Nanokontrol | Saffire 6 | Ibanez Jazzmaster Bass | Biscuits
Soundcloud (solo stuff) | One Gear Go (my band)

oddstep

Post by oddstep » Thu Jul 21, 2011 4:19 pm

The advantages of resampling are really obvious once you have taken a complex synth line, sliced it into a drum rack and played that like a drum kit. Or taken a short phrase, dumped that into simpler and played it like a bass line. Check it out. :)

AceLuby

Post by AceLuby » Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:36 pm

dusty4444 wrote:
Cezband wrote::lol: I'm enjoying these responses but back to the OP's original question:

I understand that this will save you space , but does it change anything else. sample rate, the quality, whats really the adavantage of re-sampling,just saving space?
I use re-sampling a lot in my sound design. I get a fat synth going and sample it, throw it into sampler, put all kinds of effects on the hi,mid, and low, sample it and do it again. You can get some crazy ass sounds like this.
levimoniz wrote:yes i'm a hypocrite and not intelligent

dusty4444

Post by dusty4444 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 3:39 pm

oddstep wrote:The advantages of resampling are really obvious once you have taken a complex synth line, sliced it into a drum rack and played that like a drum kit. Or taken a short phrase, dumped that into simpler and played it like a bass line. Check it out. :)

thanks . Can someboady tell me or show me a tutorial on how to blend samples and there fades in arrangment mode. my last post, someone gave me some good info on how to but i need maybe a video or a litte more in depth . Reverb on the edge , how to do the fade, I think i got decent hang of it. My main focus is so it doesnt sound like it turning on then off. smooth out the edges. Also how do i draw the envelope of a synth midi note . Sorry I know its a noob question

oddstep

Post by oddstep » Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:15 pm

dunno any tutorials. but i know what you're looking for is in attack - decay - sustain - release envelopes. experiemt with attack to make samples fade in (played on sampler/simpler) and switch looping on (release looping in sampler) and increase the release envelope value to get the sample to fade out after the midi note is released.

rsaulo

Post by rsaulo » Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:53 pm

Just to clarify...

In an audio track set the "audio from" to resampling it´s the same that if you set all other tracks "audio to" to the audio track ?

thks

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Wed Jul 27, 2011 3:04 pm

nope.. it's the master track..