Live Performance Set up

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
DanRxDrums

Live Performance Set up

Post by DanRxDrums » Thu Jun 30, 2011 5:57 am

Hey everyone,

I'm finally starting to perform live with my set up. Just a laptop into a house pa, with an APC 40. I have some questions and would like to get your feedback on the most efficient ways of doing things.

1. Should I get an audio interface to perform live? I've done it without and the only thing that seems to change a bit is the levels of the mix, which I do on headphones, as well as krk monitors. Will an interface help keep this consistent in a live setting?

2. I know some producers like to improvise, meaning run clips, and some like to run an already recorded track and just use effects. What are the pros and cons of this? I've only done the first because i feel it gives me more control to do what I want. Any thoughts?

3. I have an iPad 2 and would like to incorporate this into my set for effects. However, are their some "standard" effects most people use? i.e. LP/HP filter, beat repeat, delay..??? What else????

Thanks for responding!

DA
http://www.soundcloud.com/BlackAndWhiteDream
Macbook Os X 10.6.5 2.2 Ghz, 4GB Ram, Live 8 Suite, Akai APC40, Focusrite Saffire 6 USB, MAudio Oxygen 8 v.2

DanRxDrums

Re: Live Performance Set up

Post by DanRxDrums » Thu Jun 30, 2011 5:59 am

I guess I should have also mentioned that it is my understanding that automation is only available to use with recorded tracks in arrangement view. Not with clips...is this correct?
Macbook Os X 10.6.5 2.2 Ghz, 4GB Ram, Live 8 Suite, Akai APC40, Focusrite Saffire 6 USB, MAudio Oxygen 8 v.2

Anand

Post by Anand » Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:07 am

You can automate clips, use dummy clips all that.

1. interface yes with 4 outs, unless you are plugging direct out from your laptop and are happy with the sound and dont intend to cue tracks , samples e.t.c

2. This is very subjective and depends on what you are most comfortable with. You can do a complete improvisation or run pre recorded with some improvisation and add efx, on the fly, do some real time remix e.t.c The more you go unplanned on stage the more you will need to focus on your controller and screen which could lead to less crowd interaction. It will keep you real busy with you twiddling knobs e.t.c and your eyes glued to your stuff. In a club this is fine but in a live stage event audience interaction is extremely important, so a good balance will serve better

3. yes you can use the Ipad 2 as an add on or just by itself depending on how you plan 2 above. standard efx- filters, echo: these have the highest impact on a PA. rest are not really relevant. again depends on type of music e.t.c

DanRxDrums

Post by DanRxDrums » Thu Jun 30, 2011 4:38 pm

Okay so where do the 4 outs go? As in where do they plug in?

And dummy tracks? Please explain.

Thanks for the help!!

Illiac

Post by Illiac » Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:37 am

1.) interface: YES. Get a motu ultralite, rme fireface 400 or a NI joint. Absolutely essential, if for nothing more than better latency.

2.) YES, improvise: too many methods to cover whilst I'm so drunk. Play with your sound in whatever way is fulfilling while many people are staring at you.

3.) YES, touch screen of choice, running your app of choice (big love for touch osc) will add expressive control no knob or fader can lend. For FX, I use some maxforlive patches for reverse, buffer address, and beat repeat effects, to a hpf/ lpf in series, to a bit crusher, to a toggle bpf overdrive, to a toggle flanger, to a toggl'ed instance of fade to grey and a send to a dub delay w/ sweepable quantized delay rate and a reverb send w/ sweepable frequency.

Did you know that monks developed ale whilst trying to preserve baked breads?

Cheers,

B