Maschine controller with Ableton?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Adshead

Maschine controller with Ableton?

Post by Adshead » Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:55 pm

Is it worth me getting a maschine for beat programming, DJing & producing etc to use with Ableton if I already have an APC40 or should I just get a padkontrol?

I've heard the maschine is really good but is that mainly with its own software?

BlackMath

Re: Maschine controller with Ableton?

Post by BlackMath » Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:57 pm

yes it is

Adshead

Post by Adshead » Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:14 am

After watching numerous videos on Youtube. I've decided that I would be foolish not to get a Maschine..

These look amazing for creativity & looks you can make your samples or beats in Maschine then export them into Ableton.

Does anyone use one with Live?

Can someone give me some feedback please on how much better they are than a padkontrol or mpd.

Buleriachk

Post by Buleriachk » Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:15 am

I have an APC40 and tried out Maschine; I sent it back and got a padKontrol. But I already had a number of synths and percussion libraries, so I didn't really need Maschine's. PadKontrol's pads are much better, IMO .....

I discovered that there was no way of importing MIDI files into Maschine; and the MIDI communication is underwhelming (I had a lot of midi tracks I had created in other DAW's). I simply can't understand why one can't have drag-and-drop import of MIDI SMF files into Maschine, but there it is. There are a number of other "gotcha's" as well; be sure and read the Maschine forums thoroughly, and, of course, YMMV.....

Damon_Chambers

Post by Damon_Chambers » Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:51 am

ive debated A LOT if i should get one. drumming is not my strong suit at all. it always seems to be a big hurdle for me when i try to get anything good going.

i ordered one about an hour ago. we shall see how it goes. excited because 90% of what ive read has been glowing reviews and i was able to play with one a bit at guitar center and liked it.

coincidentally my padkontrol is now for sale. :)

starving student

Post by starving student » Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:56 am

the pad kontrol doesn't import or export midi files either :mrgreen:

imho maschines pads are better than the padkontrols, but definitely listen to that advice
and take a look at what maschine can and cannot do to see if it will work out for you.
for instance i would like it to record the muting and soling of pads in it's sequencer and it does not.
but it's still very much worth having and I would never return it. oh yeah and it's got a library but I would never buy a sampler for it's library, even if it didn't come with any sounds it would be a very good purchase.

BlackMath

Post by BlackMath » Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:09 am

Its easy enough to record midi into maschine if want a specific midi pattern in maschine's pattern browser

sequentek

Post by sequentek » Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:37 am

maschine is fantastic for controlling ableton.

Adshead

Post by Adshead » Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:12 pm

Would I be stupid to use my APC40 along side the maschine or should I replace the APC with something else because I really like using the clip launch, track/solo buttons & knobs for devices and was hoping they would work well together.

Does anyone have both in their setup?

Where in the uk can I buy for the cheapest?