Keyboard shortcut question.

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
eggnchips

Keyboard shortcut question.

Post by eggnchips » Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:30 am

Hey chaps,

I have been using Ableton for years and have been meaning to look up the following shortcuts for a long time:

Breaking an envelope into 2 points without having to double click one side and then the other.

Breaking a midi or sample block up into a certain point without having to copy and paste within the block. (Hope I explained this well)

Thanks

BTW I use both Mac and PC
Casio keyboard with 48k ZX Spectrum, a couple of tambourines and a triangle.
MUHK RECORDS

ttilberg

Re: Keyboard shortcut question.

Post by ttilberg » Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:49 pm

I'm not sure what you mean by your first one, to make two break points in an automation line, I typically use the pen tool and adjust the points from there.
Breaking a midi or sample block up into a certain point without having to copy and paste within the block. (Hope I explained this well)
If by this you mean cutting a clip into two parts, you can add cuts to clips in Arrangement view by selecting your cut point, and pressing "Ctrl E" (windows) or "Cmd E" (Mac).
I believe you also need to make sure that the automation lane has "None" selected for this to work.
Tim Tilberg - Duluth, MN | SoundCloud - Arsenal
2011 13" MBP w/8GB ram | Live 9 Suite, Reason 6.5, FXPansion DCAM/Etch/Maul, Izotope Ozone 5

eggnchips

Post by eggnchips » Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:06 pm

Thanks mate for the the second one.
By the first question I meant the same as the second one but with an envelope instead of a clip.
Casio keyboard with 48k ZX Spectrum, a couple of tambourines and a triangle.
MUHK RECORDS

ttilberg

Post by ttilberg » Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:24 am

Ahh. Instead of double clicking, I like to use the pen tool at the level I intend my ramp to end at, and then it's easy to just move a point down. This way you don't have to worry about "Did I get that split to start right on time?"
Tim Tilberg - Duluth, MN | SoundCloud - Arsenal
2011 13" MBP w/8GB ram | Live 9 Suite, Reason 6.5, FXPansion DCAM/Etch/Maul, Izotope Ozone 5