My new e-drumming with Live tutorial up on Youtube

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
flavor32

My new e-drumming with Live tutorial up on Youtube

Post by flavor32 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 5:48 pm

Hi, everyone. I have started a series of Ableton tutorials for the drumming community and thought I'd post a note with a link to the first video of a series, "Keyboard Drumming with Ableton Live"

http://youtu.be/VT5XAjAB2Ls

I hope someone finds this information useful and/or inspirational toward creating your own new music using Ableton Live and e-drums. Here's a description of this first video:

Sure, electronic drums can be used to try to emulate acoustic drums but there are many ways to use them for musical exploration outside the usual drum approaches. I often use them to create keyboard or synth parts that may not be possible to play on a traditional keyboard. The techniques in this video can bear exciting rewards when you are trying to create new approaches to your music. This is a tutorial for using Ableton Live with electronic drum pads to play chords, melodies, and motifs including the ability to have one pad step through different notes with each hit. At the end of this tutorial, there is a live demonstration of the techniques described in this video. Look out for more "keyboard drumming" and e-drum tutorials on this Youtube Channel and other internet portals!

I will be uploading another video soon that will demonstrate using a single pad to step through different samples/sounds for some "randomization adjacent" techniques for keeping your music moving and changing as you play drums. This techniques is also useful for playing bass lines with your kick drum or other layering techniques. Take care!

gjm

Re: My new e-drumming with Live tutorial up on Youtube

Post by gjm » Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:48 pm

That is an excellent video. You have a good presentation style to match. I have an Alesis Control Pad that has never been out of its box, made me want to go play :) . Looking forward to more.

Cheers
iMac - 10.10.3 - Live 9 Suite - APC40 - Axiom 61 - TX81z - Firestudio Mobile - Focal Alpha 80's - Godin Session - Home made foot controller

Observer-A

Post by Observer-A » Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:03 pm

Nice, in.

Thanks!
Ableton Crackhead and Habitual Drum Hitter
Observer-A.com
DustedGroove.com
Soundcloud

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:39 pm

8)

thx!

*bookmark*

heavensdaw

Post by heavensdaw » Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:50 am

nice.. thanks for posting!

Hd

flavor32

Post by flavor32 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:27 pm

Thank you all for the kind words and support. I am new to using Screenflow but I think I will be making these tutorials better each time. :-) Take care!

knotkranky

Post by knotkranky » Thu Jul 12, 2012 2:11 am

Thanx, great tutorial and hoping ya gots more on the way. I've subscribed.

darkenedsoul

Post by darkenedsoul » Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:52 pm

Musically not my cup of tea! HOWEVER, that was some cool stuff dude. Now my brain is thinking more about all sorts of stuff again = getting me motivated to do some new material. I haven't done anything new in like....ummm....4 yrs since I put out my last release lolz. Slacker, yeah, sorry! But that's a cool setup too. Too bad I'm not a drummer, more of a hack on that part hahaha.
http://www.darkenedsoul.net - main website
Ableton Live 8.x/9.x : NI Komplete 8 : Home built 4690K 16GB 500GB SSD, 1TB 7200, 2x2TB.

ttilberg

Post by ttilberg » Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:08 pm

Very cool sir!

I was actually thinking about trying to make my first video tutorial demonstrating a similar midi routing trick. I think it's easy to forget how fluid Live's routing possibilities are.

I recently made a track where I recorded a bunch of synth stuff and loaded bits into a Drum Rack -- I then routed 5 channels worth of midi to the drum rack so that I could keep my clips separate and re-usable, but with alternations.

Routing Multiple Midi Channels into one device is fun!
Tim Tilberg - Duluth, MN | SoundCloud - Arsenal
2011 13" MBP w/8GB ram | Live 9 Suite, Reason 6.5, FXPansion DCAM/Etch/Maul, Izotope Ozone 5

flavor32

Post by flavor32 » Sat Jul 21, 2012 6:22 pm

Thanks so much, everyone. It's great to see what others do with such a ridiculously powerful tool such as Live. Please share what you're all up to!