Recommend audio midi interface for new macbook pro (retina)

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
mooncaine

Recommend audio midi interface for new macbook pro (retina)

Post by mooncaine » Fri Aug 03, 2012 5:58 am

Can you recommend a good audio midi interface for new macbook pro (retina)? I got one issued to me by my groovy job, and I have to give back the old one. The new one doesn't have FireWire, so I can't use my (very awesome) PreSonus Firebox anymore.

The Firebox is perfect for me, except that now I can't use it on the new MBP. Can't find an adapter for Thunderbolt to FireWire.

I need audio and MIDI (real MIDI jacks, not just USB), and ideally at least 4 audio inputs and 1 mic input... and low latency, because I'm a guitarist and I'm already getting some latency when I do MIDI guitar.

Your recommendations much appreciated,

--moonie
:?:

Winterpark

Re: Recommend audio midi interface for new macbook pro (retina)

Post by Winterpark » Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:02 am

this may be a cheaper option...

thunderbolt to firewire adapter.
web | fb | sc | twt | bc

philipc

Post by philipc » Fri Aug 03, 2012 12:50 pm

Yeah, the adapter was just released a couple of days ago. Not heard of anyone who's tried it with an audio interface yet though. It's also worth noting that Apple's adapter is FW800 not 400, which is a pain since most audio interfaces have 400.
Last edited by philipc on Fri Aug 03, 2012 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fishmonkey

Post by fishmonkey » Fri Aug 03, 2012 2:45 pm

it's been years since a Mac came with a Firewire 400 port. FW800 is completely backwards compatible, you just need an adaptor, or better a FW400 -> FW800 cable.

mooncaine

Post by mooncaine » Fri Aug 03, 2012 6:57 pm

That's good news. Thanks! I just ordered a couple. I'm confident that I can use 'em for external FireWire drives I've got. I'm really eager to find out how the Firebox works on it--that'll be a big help if. I use the Firebox's power adapter, so I don't mind if the Thunderbolt+FW cabling fails to provide bus power.

I searched a few times 1 week ago, and could not find any FireWire to Thunderbolt adapter. I'm glad I asked the good peeps here at the Ableton forums.

That FireBox is really nice. Clean, loud, with plenty of inputs and outputs, solidly built. Six thumbs up.

mooncaine

Post by mooncaine » Fri Aug 03, 2012 6:58 pm

Oh, I could have mentioned that I've already been using the FireBox plugged in to my previous MacBook Pro via an FireWire 400 to 800 adapter cable. No probs, works great.

cyklops

Post by cyklops » Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:25 pm

mooncaine wrote:That's good news. Thanks! I just ordered a couple. I'm confident that I can use 'em for external FireWire drives I've got. I'm really eager to find out how the Firebox works on it--that'll be a big help if. I use the Firebox's power adapter, so I don't mind if the Thunderbolt+FW cabling fails to provide bus power.

I searched a few times 1 week ago, and could not find any FireWire to Thunderbolt adapter. I'm glad I asked the good peeps here at the Ableton forums.

That FireBox is really nice. Clean, loud, with plenty of inputs and outputs, solidly built. Six thumbs up.
Please let us know how well it works with the adaptor as I also have a firebox and will be getting a new Mac Ina week or so and wanted to wait and see how the adaptor works with existing audio interfaces before I got a retina otherwise I'll stick to the standard model

Also can you let me know if it work with bus's power I read the firebox requires 8 watts and the adaptor only gives 7 watts

mooncaine

Post by mooncaine » Sat Aug 04, 2012 4:20 pm

I will report my experience here. The adapters won't be here till next week, I think. I'll be sure to test w/o the Firebox's power adapter, and let you know.

mooncaine

Post by mooncaine » Thu Aug 09, 2012 5:38 am

Tested briefly.

The good news: my PreSonus FireBox seems to be working fine on a MBP Retina, hooked up via an Apple brand FireWire 800-to-Thunderbolt adapter that's plugged into a FireWire 800-to-400 cable. At least, I haven't found a flaw yet (not that I'm a pro tester). Blue light, Mixer app, audio and MIDI seem to be working fine.

I tested it with the Ableton Live 8.4.something beta. Played a few lines, played some MIDI bass, recorded some audio. Seems fine.

More good news (for me): the solitary "USB" port on this "Pro" laptop works with my Roland VG-99.

Not so good news: It didn't work with my Trigger Finger until I put a powered USB hub in the chain, which is apparently because the "USB" port is not backwards-compatible with older USB devices (shame on you, Apple. Seriously.). Faintly ridiculous. They made a superlight, thin laptop, but you'll have to plug in a powered USB hub to use the single stinking "USB" port.

The SSD drive on this laptop is insanely fast, though.

mooncaine

Post by mooncaine » Thu Aug 09, 2012 5:18 pm

Thanks for the recommendation. :)