running windows 7 on macbook pro

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
blkrtz

running windows 7 on macbook pro

Post by blkrtz » Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:00 pm

Hi guys

My laptop died yesterday and was looking at possible replacements today. Sadly none of the PC notebooks I've found have firewire or minicard slots anymore so am thinking of getting a macbook pro instead. I'd like to conitnue using Windows 7 though as there are still some PC only things I use regularly. Is anyone out there doing this and is it running smoothly for you?

Scott

fedexnman

Re: running windows 7 on macbook pro

Post by fedexnman » Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:49 pm

+1 for bootcamp , its really easy to do !! I had XP installed using bootcamp before its nice to have both OSX and Windows on the same computer .

casiblake

Re: running windows 7 on macbook pro

Post by casiblake » Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:03 pm

I'm running an MBP from 2009, C2D 2.4GHz + Geforce 8600M GT. Windows 7 works very well indeed, though I did also install a Western Digital "Black" 500GB hard disk, which at 7200rpm does really help to make this ageing comp feel faster.

The only issue I had was that I couldn't install Win7 without "re-building" the DVD, due to a boot error (that I cannot currently recall). After following some steps (Googling helps), and a burned copy of a freshly-made ISO later, I was able to follow the install process. Perhaps newer copies of the Win7 install media don't have this issue, my discs are very first edition retail.

With an expresscard audio card, Win7 + Ableton on a MacBook Pro is a very viable option. It has trouble putting the MBP to sleep occasionally, though.
-- Blake Casimir : Melodic Space Techno / Electro / Ambient Galaxies --
Bandcamp Orbital Station / Soundcloud Nebula / Warp Portal Homepage