62MS audio recording delay normal?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
8bit

62MS audio recording delay normal?

Post by 8bit » Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:49 am

Hi,

I'm recording my analog gear into a macbook air (latest version OSX 10.7.4) using Ableton Live 8 with a Focusrite 2i2.

I have no plugins on the channel and i've tried both direct and non-direct monitoring. I've also tried plugging the 2i2 into a separate USB port just in case other peripherals are dragging it down to USB 1.0.

I'm getting an approximate delay of 62MS delay in the recorded audio - about a 1/32 beat when recording at 120bpm.

So I have to stop, move the start point manually forward and sync the clip by ear before everything sounds right again.

Is this normal?
Is there anything that can be adjusted to dispense with the delay?

If not, does a USB sound interface exist that effectively (to the human ear) gives zero latency when recording audio?

Thanks
T

fishmonkey

Re: 62MS audio recording delay normal?

Post by fishmonkey » Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:45 am

what is your buffer size and sample rate??????

ian_halsall

Post by ian_halsall » Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:52 am

There are lots of usb soundcards which give very low latency with asio drivers.

I have a maya44 (not great quality allegedly but I can't tell) which you can get about 20ms out of easily.

Which is to all intents and purposes fast enough.

But pushing the latency all the way down is a function of how fast your cpu is and how much ram you have - the faster/higher - the lower the latency you can squeeze out of it.

If you get a pci or other on-mother board card you can get much lower latency than usb but you give up some flexibility.

If you have downloaded the asio drivers you should be able to access the latency parameters through Live -> options -> audio -> hardware.

8bit

Post by 8bit » Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:42 am

Hi @fishmonkey,

The buffer size is 512
Input latency 0
Output latency 12.3ms
Driver compensation 0
Overal latency 12.3ms

There isn't any control panel for the Scarlett 2i2 so there's no settings to adjust there.

T

fishmonkey

Post by fishmonkey » Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:17 pm

firstly, you should do the driver error compensation test, it's in the hardware setup section of the Live help (the stuff in the browser on the right).

do you have delay compensation turned on or off?

and what/how are you recording?