Pitch getting "stuck" after clip automation..?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
William

Pitch getting "stuck" after clip automation..?

Post by William » Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:54 pm

I'm routinely getting notes stuck at the wrong pitch after automating pitch inside a clip. I always make sure that the pitch returns to 0 by the end of the clip, so I can't understand why this keeps on happening.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
Soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/rimby

i7-3770K 3.5GHz
16GB RAM
256GB SSD, 1TB 7200HD

Windows 8

Live 9

infernal.machine

Re: Pitch getting "stuck" after clip automation..?

Post by infernal.machine » Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:57 pm

This happens to me too...

moonpie

Post by moonpie » Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:57 pm

yep.. me too...

yarg.

oddstep

Post by oddstep » Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:22 pm

is the clip playing right to the end. I get this if I automate pitch bends and have clip quantisatisation 1/16 or lower, so that I switch clips before the automation gets back to 0. regardless of the cause...one coping mechanism I use is to set parameters to 0 at the beginning of clips.

Warrior Bob

Post by Warrior Bob » Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:29 pm

Yep, make sure your pitch 0 message is actually being sent and the clip's playback isn't ending prematurely. This can happen if your message is after the clip stop position, or if you stop clip playback early via triggering another clip or messing with the transport.

This happens to me a lot when using Arrangement view, since I frequently listen to a few bars and press stop, forgetting that I'm in the middle of a pitchbend. A new pitchbend 0 message clears it right up.

William

Post by William » Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:04 am

Yeah that's the thing though...sometimes even when I run the instrument back through a different clip with pitch set to 0 nothing will happen.

In some instances I just have to continue working with the project until it decides to pitch back up.

Incredibly frustrating.

Don't some daws "pick up" on the midi pitch no matter where you play or stop?

i7-3770K 3.5GHz
16GB RAM
256GB SSD, 1TB 7200HD

Windows 8

Live 9

Hermanus

Post by Hermanus » Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:49 am

that is because you would have to MANUALY insert a dot in the automation line.
[for every clips that have pitch bend set to zero]

Believe me I'm not fooling you.

Try it, insert any dot [usualy I use pencil to raise a tiny section, then I use the arrow to remove unecessary dots and keep only one at zero for pitch bend.

Voilà you can pass from pitched automation to this other clip without any problem.

a bit lame but that's the only way to avoid such annoying stuff.

Lame because you can place the dot wherever you want [not forced to be on the start of the clip] for making it working,
would we consider this as a bug or some lasiness from the abes? :lol:

shadiradio

Post by shadiradio » Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:04 am

This is probably one of my biggest workflow/mood killers. You'd think that wherever you are in the timeline, if you press play, you would hear exactly what all values at that point in time are specifying.

Nope.

Clips must pass "through" at least one automation point to sort of wake them up for that parameter. It's very, very annoying in arrangement view especially with lots of clips using hold/sustain and expression envelopes. It's basically at the point where if my track sounds messed up, I know it's either funky PDC issues, or I have to find a clip and add a breakpoint at the beginning. I was hoping that Live 9 would remedy this. Maybe it does and is just not advertised? Fingers crossed...

It's funny (and sad) when trying to explain it to someone (or a client) who just wants to hear a portion of the track:

"Can we listen to section B?"
"Sure, but we actually have to listen to section A FIRST or it won't sound right."
"..."

It wouldn't be so bad if I could map shortcut keys to specific automation envelope views (hold/sustain, expression, etc), but I can't. :(

Hermanus

Post by Hermanus » Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:20 am

it's annoying at the first sight.

Get this tip: just copy the section with the dot and paste it everywhere you need.
The only way to speed up the process

I'm calling for the Abes, david or anybody?

Have you worked that out for Live9,
I mean cool for audio to midi and so on but If such a lame behavior remains in the heart of Live 9, what is it good for?

I would add I've seen lot of vids with robert Henke, he has dotted every automation lines.
it seems he do this for every parameter.

Yes I totaly agree that it is a workflow killer.

Playing with push and live 9 doesn't make any difference if it is still there around

oddstep

Post by oddstep » Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:12 pm

i simply view it as a consequence of how Live manages data. its not a linear sequencer, so it can't assume control data is a continuous sequence of events. transforming lines into nodes on the fly would surely be a massive overhead. If I want to audition mixes I freeze tracks. yes its a wind up, but it's not like the absence of session automation, which was a massive conceptual face palm. we've got session automation. its a big deal!

William

Post by William » Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:34 pm

Hermanus wrote:that is because you would have to MANUALY insert a dot in the automation line.
[for every clips that have pitch bend set to zero]

Believe me I'm not fooling you.

Try it, insert any dot [usualy I use pencil to raise a tiny section, then I use the arrow to remove unecessary dots and keep only one at zero for pitch bend.

Voilà you can pass from pitched automation to this other clip without any problem.

a bit lame but that's the only way to avoid such annoying stuff.

Lame because you can place the dot wherever you want [not forced to be on the start of the clip] for making it working,
would we consider this as a bug or some lasiness from the abes? :lol:
Ok I see. Thanks.

That is lame.

The deeper I get into music production the more I think that I'll just write the basic parts to a song in Live and then work on the details in Studio One.

i7-3770K 3.5GHz
16GB RAM
256GB SSD, 1TB 7200HD

Windows 8

Live 9