Modulating macro knobs and instruments/effects parameters

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
KTlin

Modulating macro knobs and instruments/effects parameters

Post by KTlin » Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:37 pm

Hi folks

I have two questions:

1. Is it possible to control (modulate) macro knobs and instruments/effects parameters using note properties (like velocity, keyfollow, aftertouch) from a MIDI keyboard? For example I might want to modulate a macro knob with how hard I press on the keys, or to modulate a dry/wet knob on the reverb with a keyfollow message (playing a high-octave note turns the knob to wet, plying a low-octave note turns the knob to dry).

2. Is it possible to control (modulate) macro knobs and instruments/effects parameters using the output of a MIDI effect? For example, if I put a MIDI LFO (like Mucoder's Hypercyclic) on a MIDI track, I would like to be able to use the MIDI output of this plugin to modulate a certain macro knob, or the chain selector from a group, or a parameter on a synth/effect.

I would appreciate some help here

Cheers guys

QuantumKid

Re: Modulating macro knobs and instruments/effects parameters

Post by QuantumKid » Sun Apr 09, 2023 6:10 am

Bump. Same goal here

scg

Post by scg » Sun Apr 09, 2023 6:25 am

For number 1, try Expression Control. (Not sure about the second item, as I'm not familiar with the particular plugin mentioned.)

KTlin

Post by KTlin » Sun Apr 09, 2023 4:00 pm

QuantumKid wrote:
Sun Apr 09, 2023 6:10 am
Bump. Same goal here
As scg already mentioned, the Expression Control m4l device is the only way to accomplish that, afaik. When I created this thread more than 10 years ago (Live was at version 8 then) the Expression Control device wasn't released yet if I remember correctly.

QuantumKid

Post by QuantumKid » Sun Nov 12, 2023 7:37 pm

scg wrote:
Sun Apr 09, 2023 6:25 am
For number 1, try Expression Control. (Not sure about the second item, as I'm not familiar with the particular plugin mentioned.)
Wow.. just re-found this and started using M4L earlier last year. Looking forward to finally trying Expression control out! Thanks for the advice

kleine

Post by kleine » Thu Nov 16, 2023 7:24 am

The nice thing here is that with L12, you can use expression control and modulation and still operate the macros offset with the mouse...