i am looking for a scales plugin

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
nennmichwieduwillst

i am looking for a scales plugin

Post by nennmichwieduwillst » Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:53 pm

does anybody know how can i download a "plug" like this of this site (donst have already net on my musi-compi, so i need it off-net)

http://www.pianoworld.com/fun/vpc/piano_chords.htm

thx
Peace. Freedom. Truth!

darkenedsoul

Re: i am looking for a scales plugin

Post by darkenedsoul » Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:41 pm

I know of no such plugin. There is the Scale plugin in MIDI section of plugins. It may help you out. Otherwise I suggest learning some music theory or utilize that site or http://www.looknohands.com

Mike
http://www.darkenedsoul.net - main website
Ableton Live 8.x/9.x : NI Komplete 8 : Home built 4690K 16GB 500GB SSD, 1TB 7200, 2x2TB.

BoddAH

Post by BoddAH » Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:54 pm

You can already do this by chaining live's MIDI effects.

Try putting a triad Chord device before a Scale device to get all 7 chords in the scale. Put an arpeggios behind that for instant, one-finger virtuosity in any scale of your choice.

DanikaXoXo

Post by DanikaXoXo » Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:09 pm

Lots of them for iPhone/iPad. Best one I've found is Octavian Pro.

BoddAH

Post by BoddAH » Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:54 pm

LFO8 wrote:Scales, harmonies, melody's. Anything that has to do with actually writing music, Ableton does not seem to care about

Right now, there is no real way to actually WRITE my music in Live. I like to work out scales, harmony and melody before i start thinking about anything else.

In Cubase they got this nailed. Having this ability right inside of your project will also aid in working out the progression and overall arrangement of a track FAR better and faster. And we all now how important speed is when one is writing the music (to retain that initail emotion)

I had requested these features in the Live 9 Beta forum as well. No one responded. I refuse to believe that i am the only on in this. There are still people out there who write music like this isn' t there?? Are thos people using Live??

Please voice your vote for this!

Ableton, please take your musician customers seriously. I dont want to use other apps, workarounds or other Daws even to be able to do this. Its supposed to be Ableton, not UNAbleton.

Thank you.

Arranger Track:

Chord Track:

(sorry, do not mean to hijack)

Again, all those things can already be done with the included Live MIDI effects.

Want to play in a particular key? Just use a C Major or C Minor Scale MIDI effect and transpose it to your desired key. Now the white keys (C Major scale) of your MIDI controllers are the actual degrees of your scale.

Want to use the triads corresponding to your scale? Just put a major triad Chord MIDI effect behind your Scale MIDI effect and, voila! All your 7 basic scale chords ready to be arranged into a basic progression, tweaked and altered to more complex, interesting chords, fed into an arpeggiator, etc.

You can use different Scenes for different chords in a progression, nam, label and organise your Clips, Scenes and MIDI effects to get a great overview. You just have to use what Live has efficiently.

I also like to use MIDI controllers. There's many controllers out there that allow you to specify a key and scale for input (Push for instance). I personally love using my iPad with SoundPrism Prohttp://www.soundprism.com/index_pro.php as a MIDI controller.
Last edited by BoddAH on Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rosko

Post by Rosko » Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:02 pm

I agree with you, its the one thing i miss from cubase.

doghouse

Post by doghouse » Sat Mar 23, 2013 1:10 pm

Maybe the most important writing tool in Cubase is the score editor (Logic has one, too).

I must be old school, but if I want to write it down, I'll do it on the staff 8)

But I think the OP is not discussing standard notation :wink:

nennmichwieduwillst

Post by nennmichwieduwillst » Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:47 pm

thx guys.
seems a little bit controvers;)

i take part of the meaning of lfo8. midi-fx are nice, but a little bit inflexible and u dont really see what you do, (u can not really learn musictheory ALONGSIDE with this) and if u want some varitions, inversions or "arpeggios" the work with the fx steals more time than "resample" and using the pencil.
and stuff like "transpose" to a new progression like in rapid composer - that marks the end of the midi-fx.

i have now some prepaird scales in my maschine-controller, one for major one for minor, for dorian, aeleon, myxolidian (allways 2 octaves at the 16 pads)... all i now only need is an oktave-pitch and a pitch-fx to transpose to the (song)keynote and that the (maschine) keys are automatically remap the "C" as the key of the song. it was a lot of stupid work, but now i am happy with this.

the only wish is a batch-transposer (for all selected files) to a new progression and some smart line/chord-generators (working with usefull algorithmen and not randomly) and a render-function for scale correction for exizting clips, so that i can finetune it without this braking "resample".
i hope maschine 2 will bring us "midi-fx" for the 21century so i can do the way till the samples completly in maschine.

happy eastern
Peace. Freedom. Truth!

Hermanus

Post by Hermanus » Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:10 pm

why do we always want to gather everything in one daw?

It looks like lfo8 is using cubase... is it so over ubber important to you having this feature in live 9?

Man live is so not perfect I would be better pleased with removing some awful remaining bugs still present there under the wood.
Why the hell so many users are now complaining for repetitive crashes?

Don't ask for a feature, you risk to end with an awful hybrid one.

I say keep working on cubase for this feature and import then in ableton live 8 or 9.

I mean keep it simple

Rosko

Post by Rosko » Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:42 pm

I think if done right it would benefit live to have this feature or at least some thinking around it, it would have to work right with the current work flow. Weather you like it or not Live is going to develop over time and add new features, i don't see an issue with suggestng that as one. I guess you preferred live at version 1? Keeping things simple is not to use 2 daws.

Snurker

Post by Snurker » Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:17 pm

One DAW is complicated enough for me too - besides I was soooo glad to dump Cubase for Live a few years ago. But nonetheless the idea of a chord track is a good one. I generally use a dummy MIDI track with empty clips in it, that you can rename to whatever the chord is. A bit of manual labor but I find it helpful

DanikaXoXo

Post by DanikaXoXo » Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:12 pm

nennmichwieduwillst wrote: i have now some prepaird scales in my maschine-controller, one for major one for minor, for dorian, aeleon, myxolidian (allways 2 octaves at the 16 pads)... all i now only need is an oktave-pitch and a pitch-fx to transpose to the (song)keynote and that the (maschine) keys are automatically remap the "C" as the key of the song. it was a lot of stupid work, but now i am happy with this.
What do you use scale modes for? I've never seen them actually used other than in jazz and film scoring.

MOSQUITOMAN

Post by MOSQUITOMAN » Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:16 pm

hey

If you want the best then here is the link

http://www.cognitone.com/products/mps/intro/page.stml

chris vine

Post by chris vine » Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:44 pm

lo.key

Post by lo.key » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:01 pm

i dont immediately see anything in that picture that cant be done, and done visually, using the midi effects chains that exist in live. Maybe you could be a little more specific. Things like transpositions etc are all fairly easy to accomplish using rack chains, and then can be visually edited in the arrangement...