Feeltune Rhizome Le

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
cmreal04

Feeltune Rhizome Le

Post by cmreal04 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:32 pm

Well after a year of debate and reading the manual through in March I decided to take the plunge. The Le version dropped from $1300 to $999 and I managed to get my hands on one for $750, which made it worth the gamble in my eyes. I'll post a review in a couple months for those interested, anything before that would just be a waste of everyone's time. Here goes nothing...
Ableton 9, Feeltune Rhizome, Focusrite Pro, Mpk249....

BaronVonAbelDong

Re: Feeltune Rhizome Le

Post by BaronVonAbelDong » Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:26 am

Hi,

What was the verdict?

If you have five minutes it would be great to hear what you thought.

Seems like the company are not about at the moment so any info would be of interest.

Thanks!

Schmidi

Post by Schmidi » Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:33 pm

Yeah, mini review please!

cmreal04

Post by cmreal04 » Fri Sep 13, 2013 4:00 am

Well I gotta say for me it's working out great and the reason why I'm finally finishing my tracks.

Things I like:
- no computer screen needed / 3 main views, scene, sampler, mixer, and a fourth being song mode
- step tracks / beats and variations quickly / rolls
- handling / auditioning of samples
- total hands on control (main views)
- sampler view
- easy to get your head around coming from ableton
- exporting projects is easy
- groove amount / good results
-key board mode works well when used with chord options

Things I don't:
- software incomplete, needed a couple more updates
- manual needs improvement
- keyboard mode / sensitivity of the pads isn't good
- host software not delivered on disc
- smooth rotary knobs would be preferred
- changing vst parameters needs to be done via computer screen when using the Le version!

BaronVonAbelDong

Post by BaronVonAbelDong » Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:12 am

Hi,

Thanks for taking the time.

I'm on the verge of getting one, hence the questions. Never bought anything new from a company that didn't exist any longer. :)

1. Can I ask, if you have a moment, how deep can you go with the sample mangling? Does it do chops or recognise the transients etc? Or is that all manual? No matter what else I try to use, it's hard to get away from Live's audio/sample tinkering and how flexible/easy it is.

For example, I really wanted to use Maschine more than I do... workflow is great... it's fun... but it's like going back to my Akai950 for sample tweaking (not trolling) and I find it slower than using Live in most cases (again, just in my experience so far). Would be a waste of time if a Rhizome ends up being the same/similar and gets half used.

2. Also, tweaking the parameters of vst's in your computer screen... can they be recorded back into the LE? I'm guessing that automation exists in some form?

3. What's the matter with the knobs on it?

I've watched most of their online videos but they don't go into much detail. It looks great though and after growing up working with Roland TR boxes, that way of step sequencing would be very easy to live with. :)

Thanks for any further input.

cmreal04

Post by cmreal04 » Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:25 pm

BaronVonAbelDong wrote:Hi,

Thanks for taking the time.

I'm on the verge of getting one, hence the questions. Never bought anything new from a company that didn't exist any longer. :)

1. Can I ask, if you have a moment, how deep can you go with the sample mangling? Does it do chops or recognise the transients etc? Or is that all manual? No matter what else I try to use, it's hard to get away from Live's audio/sample tinkering and how flexible/easy it is.

For example, I really wanted to use Maschine more than I do... workflow is great... it's fun... but it's like going back to my Akai950 for sample tweaking (not trolling) and I find it slower than using Live in most cases (again, just in my experience so far). Would be a waste of time if a Rhizome ends up being the same/similar and gets half used.

2. Also, tweaking the parameters of vst's in your computer screen... can they be recorded back into the LE? I'm guessing that automation exists in some form?

3. What's the matter with the knobs on it?

I've watched most of their online videos but they don't go into much detail. It looks great though and after growing up working with Roland TR boxes, that way of step sequencing would be very easy to live with. :)

Thanks for any further input.
1) the sampler's good I'll post a screen shot in the next couple days so you can see what's at your disposal.

2) yes

3) there' nothing wrong with the knobs, I just prefer smooth rotary

The videos suck and so did there marketing hence the reason there no longer around, and yeah I love the step sequencing. The rhizome is nothing like a maschine experience at all - which is a great thing, not that there's anything wrong with maschine, but this isn't meant to be a alternative to maschine in terms of workflow.

A couple side notes for you to consider:
1) you can probably buy the sxe version now for the same as I paid.
2) I would not suggest buying one used since feeltune "no longer exists" Music retailers can still provide the feeltune host software via download, without that you have an oversized paper weight.
3) the rhizome Le can be pretty demanding on your system. I have to run my motu interface via USB with the power supply instead of the FireWire connection due to "demands" of the rhizome, 4 large displays etc.
4)I have not sampled directly into the host software. I have a large sample library I heavily depend on and without that I wouldn't use this nearly as much as I do.
5) most my vst work is still done primarily in Ableton. I export my feeltune project into live and finish there.

For my personal workflow the rhizome is killer, but remember your going to travel down a road without company/ forum support, and you'll never get your money back out of this product if you're unhappy - unless mine breaks cuz I'll pay a mint for another.

An alternative you might want to consider is the Elektron octatrack, that B is stacked full of features, USB connection, flash card slot, forum support, and will hold its value some what.

Not trying to steer you away, but you gotta way your options when throwing large amounts of cash around.

BaronVonAbelDong

Post by BaronVonAbelDong » Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:57 pm

Thanks a lot.

Screenshots would be great, when you have spare time.

Have looked around for an SXE but can only find 2 LE's for sale. Probably not looking in the right places, but are you saying that it would be better to get an SXE? I thought the fact that you could upgrade the computer easily with an LE was of more interest. Although having everything in the one machine would be great too.

Your point on VST work is interesting as I would be using this as a way to not use Live in my workflow for a bit. Have you ever finished a track off in one? Just to see if it's up to it or for fun even?

I'm (kind of) not too concerned about support, as any old gizmo you buy is the same/similar, it's just weird with this being new n all. Are you saying you like it so much that you would pay top price for another one if anything happened to yours?

Have looked at the Octatrack and can't imagine being able to get a track to finishing point in one. It looks great though...(another bunch of videos to watch :| ) but I'd still likely need to export to a DAW. Maybe I just have to get over that :)

Anyway... your input is very much appreciated.

cmreal04

Post by cmreal04 » Fri Sep 13, 2013 6:25 pm

BaronVonAbelDong wrote:Thanks a lot.

Screenshots would be great, when you have spare time.

Have looked around for an SXE but can only find 2 LE's for sale. Probably not looking in the right places, but are you saying that it would be better to get an SXE? I thought the fact that you could upgrade the computer easily with an LE was of more interest. Although having everything in the one machine would be great too.

Your point on VST work is interesting as I would be using this as a way to not use Live in my workflow for a bit. Have you ever finished a track off in one? Just to see if it's up to it or for fun even?

I'm (kind of) not too concerned about support, as any old gizmo you buy is the same/similar, it's just weird with this being new n all. Are you saying you like it so much that you would pay top price for another one if anything happened to yours?

Have looked at the Octatrack and can't imagine being able to get a track to finishing point in one. It looks great though...(another bunch of videos to watch :| )but I'd still likely need to export to a DAW. Maybe I just have to get over that :)

Anyway... your input is very much appreciated.
I've never finished a track in the rhizome alone, but that was never really my intention. Live will always be part of my workflow, I just like creating my melodies and feel way too comfortable mixing/editing in Ableton. I have finished 80 percent of a track with the rhizome when I've worked in reverse, started with a basic melody, exported to the rhizome,and built around that. I still ended up bringing it back to Ableton for the finishing touches- might be a comfort level thing at this point or just the way my work flow was meant to be, dunno.

I just threw the sxe thing out there cuz I wasn't sure of your computer specs....there's 2 new sxe's on eBay now, and yes I would drop an considerable amount of money on another if something happened to the one I currently own.

BaronVonAbelDong

Post by BaronVonAbelDong » Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:41 pm

Thanks a lot.

Last Q for now, I asked earlier if the sampler can do chops. What I mean is, can I sample a bar and then split it up and assign it across the step sequencer? I am assume yes but it's not done in any of the videos I have watched.

Cheers.

cmreal04

Post by cmreal04 » Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:29 pm

BaronVonAbelDong wrote:Thanks a lot.

Last Q for now, I asked earlier if the sampler can do chops. What I mean is, can I sample a bar and then split it up and assign it across the step sequencer? I am assume yes but it's not done in any of the videos I have watched.

Cheers.
Yes

d_walk

Post by d_walk » Sat Sep 21, 2013 3:45 pm

I recently got my hands on a Rhizome LE and heard I can use it with Ableton Live. Unfortunately I can't find a download link to the Rhizome OS software because the company no longer exists. Do I need the Rhizome software in order to use the LE as a control surface in Ableton and if so, does anybody know where I can get the Rhizome OS? I'm running on Mac OS X 10.8.7.

Thanks for your help!

cmreal04

Post by cmreal04 » Sat Sep 21, 2013 6:22 pm

d_walk wrote:I recently got my hands on a Rhizome LE and heard I can use it with Ableton Live. Unfortunately I can't find a download link to the Rhizome OS software because the company no longer exists. Do I need the Rhizome software in order to use the LE as a control surface in Ableton and if so, does anybody know where I can get the Rhizome OS? I'm running on Mac OS X 10.8.7.

Thanks for your help!
I'm not sure on the controller thing cuz I use it stand alone- then transfer my project to Ableton.

I'll send you a DL link for the host software via PM over the weekend.

d_walk

Post by d_walk » Sat Sep 21, 2013 6:40 pm

Thanks, man!

cmreal04

Post by cmreal04 » Sat Sep 21, 2013 8:44 pm

d_walk wrote:
Thanks, man!
Sorry the link to the DL has been removed.

I contacted a music dealer a short time ago so I had this link on my computer for future use, but the link has been removed, which is total BS, I'm gonna have to pay to have this software ghosted to another HD in the future.

d_walk

Post by d_walk » Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:31 pm

I contacted a music dealer a short time ago so I had this link on my computer for future use, but the link has been removed, which is total BS, I'm gonna have to pay to have this software ghosted to another HD in the future.
No problem. I tried contacting the company directly before heading to the forums and I heard nothing back. DM me if you ever get the software ghosted!