default velocity for the pads

Discuss Push with other users.
ziggomatic

default velocity for the pads

Post by ziggomatic » Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:31 pm

hi!

is there a way to set a default velocity so i can, for example, play a drum beat on the pads and the velocity would be same?

thanks! :)
iMac 27" 2.7GHz quad core i5 Live 9 Suite, Apollo Twin Duo, Moog Sub 37, Push, APC40 and KRK RP6, iPad 2 running Animoog etc....,

panten

Re: default velocity for the pads

Post by panten » Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:36 pm

Yep just turn on Accent.

Oh wait I just realised you might want to have something other than full velocity. Not sure if that's actually possible. Might be another one for the suggestions thread.

Press and hold accent and turn one of the encoders to set fixed velocity level.

vojd

Post by vojd » Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:38 pm

Yup, with a mod of the script - http://beatwise.proboards.com/index.cgi ... hread=1281 , scroll down to push script mods.

aioffermann

Post by aioffermann » Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:25 pm

vojd wrote:Yup, with a mod of the script - http://beatwise.proboards.com/index.cgi ... hread=1281 , scroll down to push script mods.
Isn't that saying that the sequencer is sensitive to the velocity played? I think he was looking for a pay to set the velocity to be a constant, exact number.

mylkoa

Post by mylkoa » Fri Oct 16, 2015 4:53 am

vojd wrote:Yup, with a mod of the script - http://beatwise.proboards.com/index.cgi ... hread=1281 , scroll down to push script mods.
Great. Thanks for the suggestion, however, I'm a little confused by the directions, because Stray talks about emulating the Push on a different controller. I already have a Push - I don't need to emulate it. I just want to change the default velocity on the step sequencer pads to 48, and I would also like to change the accent button to yield a velocity of 96 (I'm working with DD16's Nepheton, and those are the corresponding velocities for accented and non-accented notes.

Can you elaborate on how I would use ClyphX and those scripts to make changes to the Push I already have?

I'm not a computer programmer, beyond trying to make beats, so thanks for your patience.

Cheers

sporkles

Post by sporkles » Fri Oct 16, 2015 7:35 am

Is putting a velocity device first in the track chain an option?

overflow1

Post by overflow1 » Sat Oct 17, 2015 4:44 am

sporkles wrote:Is putting a velocity device first in the track chain an option?
I'm with Mylkoa....

I'd love to set the accent velocity (at least) for using Push to write drum sequences on the fly. I started writing drums way before push so I have a lot of drum tracks done. I dont want to put a fixed velocity plug cause then my other old drum sequences would be rendered to static (ie all the hi hats at the same velocity isn't ideal) Plus the velocity sensitivity while in using push's repeat would be rendered static, so not ideal.....you know....

I wish.......right now I avoid on the fly drum sequencing which is a shame. my set-up is capable and it'd be so fun BUT my accents are not 127 ever ......... :(

mylkoa

Post by mylkoa » Sat Oct 17, 2015 9:15 pm

Okay... so I found a nice, simple solution.

Use the Ableton stock velocity device. With the following settings:
Operation: both
Mode: Clip
Drive: -1.0
Comp: 1.0
Random: 0
Out Hi: 99
Out Low: 38
Range: 127
Lowest 1

Insert that Velocity device in the signal chain before the Neph, and now you can step sequence with Push using the default 100 (non-accented) and 127 (accent button) values and it will spit 48 and 96 to the Neph.

This is the first time I've ever used the velocity MIDI effect, so if there are better settings, then please let us know. Cheers.

ziggomatic

Post by ziggomatic » Fri Oct 23, 2015 2:13 am

thanks mylkoa for the help i really appreciated :)

i just tried your settings and unfortunately it doesn't work. i just record a drum sequence and i played at different velocity and it gives me those different velocity :(
iMac 27" 2.7GHz quad core i5 Live 9 Suite, Apollo Twin Duo, Moog Sub 37, Push, APC40 and KRK RP6, iPad 2 running Animoog etc....,

mylkoa

Post by mylkoa » Fri Oct 23, 2015 3:44 am

Hello!

Sorry, maybe I wasn't clear...This method is for use with the Push step sequencer, which uses only velocities of 100 and 127. It's not for live tapping :)

Cheers!

jbone1313

Post by jbone1313 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 1:56 pm

mylkoa wrote:Okay... so I found a nice, simple solution.

Use the Ableton stock velocity device. With the following settings:
Operation: both
Mode: Clip
Drive: -1.0
Comp: 1.0
Random: 0
Out Hi: 99
Out Low: 38
Range: 127
Lowest 1

Insert that Velocity device in the signal chain before the Neph, and now you can step sequence with Push using the default 100 (non-accented) and 127 (accent button) values and it will spit 48 and 96 to the Neph.

This is the first time I've ever used the velocity MIDI effect, so if there are better settings, then please let us know. Cheers.
I'm going to try this later with my TR-8, as I have a similar need. If this works, this is brilliant.

Is it still working for you? Same settings?
Sonoran Music Devices
Monsoon (a chord track for Ableton Live) and other devices are available here:
https://sonoranmusicdevices.gumroad.com/

mylkoa

Post by mylkoa » Sun Feb 12, 2017 1:03 am

Hi jbone1313,

I moved across country, and haven't touched my Push in well over 6 months because I stored it in the city I used to live in (good news is I'm flying back and retrieving it soon!)... but when I did use that workflow, it worked fine.

The script that "vojd" mentions sounds interesting. I would like to look back into that eventually...

Good luck!