64th note repeat?

Discuss Push with other users.
dewaldo

64th note repeat?

Post by dewaldo » Sat Aug 24, 2013 8:57 pm

I'm trying to use the push to program some trap style 64th note hi hat patterns. I realize could just double the tempo of the track and use the 32nd note repeat function, but doubling the track tempo would screw with some tempo-synced delay patterns coming from some VSTs.

Is there a way to up the repeat resolution of push to do 64th notes? Maybe some sub menu or a max4live device? Or am I stuck with drawing in notes / doubling track tempo? Thanks for your help.

irrelevance

Re: 64th note repeat?

Post by irrelevance » Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:35 am

Not sure if it would work but could you record in 32nd repeats and stop recording then duplicate and nudge the duplicated steps into position then just edit/mute delete from there.

greaterthanzero

Re: 64th note repeat?

Post by greaterthanzero » Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:34 pm

Try an arpeggiator MIDI device. Set its pattern to "chords", and it's rate to 64th notes.

If you use 32nd note repeat on Push, that'll be be close. The only thing being, each duple will have the same velocity on both notes. And Push's "swing" control won't do anything useful.

To fix the "same velocity on pairs of notes" thing, you could turn off repeat mode, put a velocity device after the arpeggiator, and use m4l to map Push's aftertouch to control that.

Also fun: turn off the arpeggiator's "sync" button and smoothly ramp up its rate in ms, independent of the track tempo.