If Facebook went poof bye bye

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
beats me

If Facebook went poof bye bye

Post by beats me » Thu May 15, 2014 9:34 pm

They just shut that bitch down without notice. I’d love to see that happen, or at the very least it would make a highly entertaining movie. The reaction and withdrawals from social media junkies would be both terrifying and hilarious. A huge percentage of the population wouldn’t know how to interact with each other or even find each other.

The fallout would show how we’ve really regressed as a species thanks to social media.

H20nly

Re: If Facebook went poof bye bye

Post by H20nly » Thu May 15, 2014 9:38 pm

i would Like that.

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Thu May 15, 2014 10:51 pm

On a related note I thought about how people have this passive ability to vent their frustrations about the world around them on Facebook. They get it out of their system and their form of 'activism' remains in this cloud of 1's and 0's. After mentioning it, maybe conversating about it and Like'ing a few things for 'the cause', they carry on with their lives. They feel so complacent with this that they may not even get actually involved with it.

And what if after all that, all these expressions, Facebook just disappeared? All their ideologies would be hauled away with it.

aisling

Post by aisling » Thu May 15, 2014 11:48 pm

hasn't Facebook been marginalized and reduced to spam adds, baby boomers, pathetic gen xers ( I am pathetic and gen x, but don't use FB), and criminals bragging about their crimes, only to captured as a result?
http://soundcloud.com/aislingbeing

Live, Reason, Moog sub phatty, Moog sub 37, Ozone 6, guitars, Pedals, proper ergonomic sitting posture, french pressed coffee with a pinch of cardamon.

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Fri May 16, 2014 12:33 am

Substitute "Ableton Forum."

:x
Unsound Designer

eyeknow

Post by eyeknow » Fri May 16, 2014 12:37 am

haha, I was thinking the same thing :lol:

I know nothing about facebook other than that dude is a gazillionaire.

eyeknow

Post by eyeknow » Fri May 16, 2014 12:38 am

You could tweet it out........

TheNobleNemesis

Post by TheNobleNemesis » Fri May 16, 2014 11:42 am

That'd suck, actually, because I primarily contact friends and associates via Facebook.

beats me

Post by beats me » Fri May 16, 2014 1:35 pm

My friend’s mother freaked out when he killed his Facebook account because she didn’t know how she was going to keep in touch with him or keep up to date. He maybe posted 2 things a month on Facebook and none of it was of any importance or relevance to his mother.

Same friend’s sister went on a vacation and was annoyed she needed to email him pictures because she had posted them on Facebook and he doesn’t have an account.

This is the laziness and low tolerance and problem solving skills that social media has given us. Killing Facebook would make many feel they were empty and alone when in reality absolutely nothing has changed other than the fact they are going to have to put out some direct and individual effort. Many just aren't up for that task and wouldn't feel special if that picture of their dinner wasn't up for mass viewing.

To: Chad Stevens
Subject: I'm about to eat this.

Well, now that just feels stupid.

Always was.

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Fri May 16, 2014 1:38 pm

I just ate this

I just drove that

I had sex with all of them

Here's a picture of my cat

The food picture craze may have begun by people visiting establishments and showing their loot. Letting others know where they can find a dish which has a certain appeal. Then it evolved into, check out my half burned tuna-parsley grilled cheese sammich

Pictures or commentary of everything could be considered absurd. Midi controllers, waterfalls, a spider on your dirty kitchen floor, your scabs.

I think there is a niche for it all and it is aight if people choose to express themselves that way. But it'd be nice of there were topic specific filtering options for those who are uninterested. Food is pretty fundamental in life.

Speaking of, I've found that by adding local private restaurants and businesses to my fb, it is a good reminder to stop into these places more frequently. It is possibly the best thing ever for those guys. In a world where people are okay with driving 7+ miles to a single mega-store for all their needs, passing up all the little shops on their way.

regretfullySaid

Post by regretfullySaid » Fri May 16, 2014 1:47 pm

Yup, my mom asked 'is everything ok?' after I closed my account :lol:

There's also the assumption that you are anti-social if you don't have a facebook account.
I'm specifically talking on a corporate level. If you are looking for a job in that culture it's very likely just whether you have a fb account will have some effct on their judgement and decision to hire you.

I would love to see what society is like if fb went poof, especially if it was an unexplainable anomaly.

I'd imagine the same people clamoring for attention from anyone on fb would cringe at half the people who would give them attention in person.
ImageImage

re:dream

Post by re:dream » Fri May 16, 2014 3:57 pm

I used to be on FB every day. Then I closed my account for a year.

I did not miss it much. But I found that there was a particular layer of my good friends that i was losing touch with.

So now I have an FB account again and it has, say, about 30 people on it. The folk I know and love, but whose circles don't intersect with mine every day. I check it every once in a while. If FB went poof bye bye I would pretty much have to figure out a way of getting WhatsApp on my phone. It would serve basically the same function.

beats me

Post by beats me » Fri May 16, 2014 4:17 pm

The tools and means to keep in touch with people are still there without social media. Ironically people who think social media is all important to their daily life probably wouldn’t keep in touch with 9/10ths of the these “important” people if social media went bye bye. And what is important in daily life would change by a factor of zero if social media wasn’t there.

regretfullySaid

Post by regretfullySaid » Fri May 16, 2014 5:24 pm

That reminded me of a couple times where I've read someone saying like 'I wish there was a 'like' button for that post'...
Can't you just say you like the fucking post? Or is everything irrelevant unless it has a meter on it?
(aka a social cue for people to choose which way to voice their opinion on something they don't know which way to have an opinion on ie 'this song has 10 million views and 9 million likes so it must be good even though it doesn't do anything for me I'm going to say it's genius so all these people I don't know who don't care about me will think there's nothing wrong with me!)

That little rant isn't as angry as it sounds but youknowhatImean, right?
ImageImage

aisling

Post by aisling » Fri May 16, 2014 6:28 pm

beats me wrote:The tools and means to keep in touch with people are still there without social media. Ironically people who think social media is all important to their daily life probably wouldn’t keep in touch with 9/10ths of the these “important” people if social media went bye bye. And what is important in daily life would change by a factor of zero if social media wasn’t there.
When I stopped doing FB, and I only did it for about 6-7 months total, I informed all my "friends", that I was still very interested in hearing from people, and would welcome a phone call or an email. Less than 1% of my "friends" choose to keep in contact. Funny thing was that I was just at a research symposium for my profession, and ran into a bunch of old classmates, everybody pretended to be best friends just like the old days...
It is hard enough not wasting time with my music forums (that give me more satisfaction than FB ever did), but I can't see how people can devote so much time to social networking, when truth be told, in one's darkest hour of need or despair, not one of those people are truly available, because they are busy having the most wonderful and fulfilling life.
http://soundcloud.com/aislingbeing

Live, Reason, Moog sub phatty, Moog sub 37, Ozone 6, guitars, Pedals, proper ergonomic sitting posture, french pressed coffee with a pinch of cardamon.