Checking your old man self

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
beats me

Checking your old man self

Post by beats me » Thu Jul 23, 2015 1:46 pm

You realize when you make blanket statements like “There’s no good music/TV shows/movies/etc. out there” that you just became your parents and their parents before them.

The only thing I agree with is today’s kids are oversexed, which my parents thought before me and their parents before them. But I do believe we are within a generation of corporate sponsored public orgies. Legal teams are just working on the proper verbiage for consent and liability forms. :x

TomViolenz

Re: Checking your old man self

Post by TomViolenz » Thu Jul 23, 2015 2:43 pm

beats me wrote:You realize when you make blanket statements like “There’s no good music/TV shows/movies/etc. out there” that you just became your parents and their parents before them.
HA!
I never had that specifically at all, since I actually think that there has never before been as much good music (though not so much in the mainstream), and so many good TV shows (Netflix and co making their own high quality series now)
But I certainly feel estranged from the young generation in regards to the whole social networking and always-on mentality. I just don't get the lure of it and find it silly and sad.
Further I have the feeling that no generation before were as much corporate-drones, free market worshipers as this one. :|
The only thing I agree with is today’s kids are oversexed, which my parents thought before me and their parents before them. But I do believe we are within a generation of corporate sponsored public orgies. Legal teams are just working on the proper verbiage for consent and liability forms. :x
I've always felt that sex is way too (moraly) regulated, so such a development would be very much welcomed by me. (not that I would nececessarily partake, since I usually feel more like: Meh, been there, done that)

But the image of a corporat sponsored sex orgy sends shivers of disgust up my spine :x

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Thu Jul 23, 2015 2:54 pm

Sponsored by Red Bull.

beats me

Post by beats me » Thu Jul 23, 2015 3:06 pm

I agree I don’t get the social media addiction aspect of what is going on right now. Mundane life shit isn’t interesting. Either accept that and keep it to yourself or make your life more interesting, or “do not post what thou would not want to view thyself from others”. If somebody’s lunch isn’t interesting to you then why do you think yours is? Is it a one up lunchmanship contest?

Richie Witch

Post by Richie Witch » Thu Jul 23, 2015 3:22 pm

beats me wrote:But I do believe we are within a generation of corporate sponsored public orgies. Legal teams are just working on the proper verbiage for consent and liability forms. :x
Money for sex is legal in the US, as long as a movie camera is involved. :lol:
"Watching the Sky" ~ A 4-track EP of piano, strings, and Native American flute

beats me

Post by beats me » Thu Jul 23, 2015 3:24 pm

Richie Witch wrote:
beats me wrote:But I do believe we are within a generation of corporate sponsored public orgies. Legal teams are just working on the proper verbiage for consent and liability forms. :x
Money for sex is legal in the US, as long as a movie camera is involved. :lol:

I think they are or were attempting to make it illegal in Southern CA. Good luck with that.

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Thu Jul 23, 2015 3:31 pm

Interesting, just when you post this impression about todays generation being oversexed, a German magazine puplished an article citing this study: http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/databriefs/db209.htm

Apparently the number of teenagers who had sex, as well as the number of teenagers who had unprotected sex, has been on a steady decline since the 80s.

So I guess you had the wrong impression.

As to why such a study about the sexual behaviour of American teens gets puplished in a major German online magazine on the front page?

Yeah, we are obsessed with our hegemon that way :roll:

beats me

Post by beats me » Thu Jul 23, 2015 3:41 pm

Bah, if young people are having less sex its only because they are holding out for somebody they feel is worthy of their social media celebrity status delusion. “My followers expect a certain standard and I must not disappoint my people.” :x

Another old man thing, what this generation probably sees as inspiring I see as discouraging. When I started music I just had to impress and compete locally, not globally. So while this generation might see countless examples of something they might be interested in they’ll go “I can do that!”, I’ll watch the same countless examples and go “If they aren’t particularly successful, who am I to think I will be”, especially as I enter my irrelevant years. “It’s never too late!” might apply to mountain climbing and scuba diving, not so much to packing a place with people 20 years your junior from out of nowhere and people my age aren’t interested in going out so much.

Can anybody name one artist that exploded on to the scene over the age of 35 with no prior following? I suggested to my roommate we start a DJ duo under the moniker Two Old Guys on Blow. It paints a picture. :|

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Thu Jul 23, 2015 4:00 pm

beats me wrote:Can anybody name one artist that exploded on to the scene over the age of 35 with no prior following? I suggested to my roommate we start a DJ duo under the moniker Two Old Guys on Blow. It paints a picture. :|

:P

beats me

Post by beats me » Thu Jul 23, 2015 4:08 pm

Well played Tarekith. The Celine Dion genre is timeless and still full of opportunity, but not exactly my thing. :|

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Thu Jul 23, 2015 4:08 pm

I think changing the title of that German magazine article to something along the lines of "Number of American Teens Being Honest About Having Sex Has Declined"

beats me

Post by beats me » Thu Jul 23, 2015 5:14 pm

H20nly wrote:I think changing the title of that German magazine article to something along the lines of "Number of American Teens Being Honest About Having Sex Has Declined"

I think social media plays a big part in people wanting to be master manipulators of their own reality and probably believe “anonymous” is still 100% traceable back to them.

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Thu Jul 23, 2015 6:44 pm

hmm, not to put too fine a point on it, but a guy I know encounters a lot of women in their early 20's, and they are very vocal about their sexual needs. Most of which are quite non-standard. They don't seem to be bothered about judgement, other than perhaps the occasional "don't fucking hassle me you cishet pig" blog post.

Comparing the women I knew when I was 22, my peers, with the women that this guy knows. Well, it's night and day. These girls grew up on Tumblrs where girls like them not only take it up the pooper, but gladly have their tits nailed to a plank while grandad pisses on their molars and their twinsister waits patiently for her turn. It's a different sexual zeitgeist.

The modern young lady is much more liberated than 25 years ago. The Pre-internet woman had it tough when it came to asking for what she needed, the post-internet woman has a list of kinks she's working through.

I only have this guy's word to go on though, and he is notoriously unreliable.

beats me

Post by beats me » Thu Jul 23, 2015 8:11 pm

Does this guy also have some similarly amazing stories about fishing trips?

Richie Witch

Post by Richie Witch » Fri Jul 24, 2015 12:46 pm

Let me start by saying that I was raised in a broken home by my mother who was a semi-famous nudist and worked as a stripper, so my perspective on sexuality might be a little off…. 8O

I have to agree that the Internet has changed women’s sexuality. Some of the things Angstrom talks about I agree with, others not, based on my own experiences. Still, the following is all anecdotal.

I was on a road trip with my two daughters, both in their 30's, a couple years ago when I overheard them talking about the lingerie pics they have of themselves on their FB pages and how they share these with men who are not their husbands. They were comparing the number of fans they have, comments they’ve received, etc. They were very casual about it, as if everyone is doing this and it’s perfectly normal. My youngest sister, who is in this same age bracket, also frequently pushes the boundaries of FB’s policies with her nearly-nude selfies.

My current wife, who is quite a bit younger than I am, has no qualms about sharing fully-nude, spread-eagle pics with our friends, as long as she is wearing sunglasses or her face is averted, on the idea that if you can’t see her eyes, you can’t prove it’s really her…. :roll: She also believes, like many women much younger than her, that oral sex isn’t really sex, so it’s acceptable to do with casual acquaintances.

But when it comes to kinky 20-somethings, I find that while they’ll tell you they want to go to your place and lick your toilet bowl, if you take them home and push them into the bathroom, they start back-pedaling pretty quickly.

The hardcore fetishists I’ve met have all been 50+. These are the women that are looking to experience hard S&M or zoophilia, and when presented with the opportunity, take exactly what they’ve asked for and beg for more.

And by the way… “take it up the pooper”? Anal sex has been no big deal for decades as far as I can tell.

As for me, I haven’t seen my daughters’ pics and don't care to, I don’t date 20-somethings regardless of their claims, and I discourage my wife from going down on strangers. Maybe I’m just a little old-fashioned…. :lol:
"Watching the Sky" ~ A 4-track EP of piano, strings, and Native American flute