time (not measure!) markers in arrangement view ?

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
invisible_avatar

time (not measure!) markers in arrangement view ?

Post by invisible_avatar » Tue Oct 20, 2015 3:44 pm

Hi!

Is it possible to set a marker in arrangement view which is fixed to time and not to measure? I m etting crazy that when i m changing the tempo all my time based markers are useless because they shifted to other positions.

I would be glad about any helpful hints or at least a "no" that i know i have to move to another DAW.

Ciao

Richie Witch

Re: time (not measure!) markers in arrangement view ?

Post by Richie Witch » Tue Oct 20, 2015 4:14 pm

I get the impression that "time" is a bit of an afterthought in Ableton Live. I've been doing narration for class assignments lately, and finding all the time markers to coincide with animation events was much harder that it should be.

And why is there no time display?? Like every other DAW in the world? Yeah, there is a timeline at the bottom, but you really have to zoom in and stop/start the track just right to figure out where you are time-wise.

Anyway, going to watch this thread and see if anyone can provide some insight or instructions on something I've missed.
"Watching the Sky" ~ A 4-track EP of piano, strings, and Native American flute

mholloway

Post by mholloway » Tue Oct 20, 2015 4:18 pm

No, you can't do it, and yeah, it sucks. Has always seemed like a major oversight to me.

I think there is a M4L device that just sticks a clock on a channel, but that's not the same thing, unless I'm missing something.

-M
my industrial music made with Ableton Live (as DEAD WHEN I FOUND HER): https://deadwhenifoundher.bandcamp.com/
my dark jazz / noir music made with Ableton Live: https://michaelarthurholloway.bandcamp. ... guilt-noir

invisible_avatar

Post by invisible_avatar » Fri Oct 23, 2015 1:05 pm

thanks for joining my problem!

I totally undertand that Live is not made to run a professional, precise, big score or band mastering and that once it has been designed for different goals (being most flexible for original sound creating or, well, yes, Dj-ing). but now it has become so much more and i know many people working with experimental movies together, far beyond the traditional procedure. but nevertheless, time is still mostly involved, which makes flexible time markers essential for a work in progress project where things are changing at many points all the time (complicated enough already).
and if a marker is time or note fixed, this shouldnt make thinks (mission: keep the program simple) too complicated.

So, any solution would be fantastic!

or another question to the forum: Does anybody know another program which has this great FX-Management? DP, Cubase, Pro Tools, they drive me crazy, when having more than 100 tracks with each 2 up to 10 or more FX plug ins which i like to tune with the most possible overview (and not just a name-button or endless opened windows)

sorry for asking this here, but being a convienced ableton user (still beside this one time problem :) i dare to ask.

danielleoh

Post by danielleoh » Wed May 03, 2023 3:57 pm

This post was quite awhile ago but it still hasn't been addressed, and it still sucks. I keep getting pressure to move to Cubase as I work on various film projects. Would hate to have to abandon my M4L devices just to gain this one feature. Anyone out there handy enough with M4L to come up with a way to lock our markers to the timeline? I can M4L a little, but so far can't imagine how that might work...

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Thu May 04, 2023 6:23 am

I'm moving this to the Feature Wishlist forum.
Thanks for the bump, this definitely needs to be addressed...
Ableton Forum Moderator

jonljacobi

Post by jonljacobi » Sun May 07, 2023 12:27 am

Yes, you can insert locators at specific times. E.g., 0:50:100. Turn the grid off, insert a locator and drag it using the timeline at the bottom for reference.

ozinga

Post by ozinga » Sun May 07, 2023 7:18 am

jonljacobi wrote:
Sun May 07, 2023 12:27 am
Yes, you can insert locators at specific times. E.g., 0:50:100. Turn the grid off, insert a locator and drag it using the timeline at the bottom for reference.
It does not matter. The problem is they are not locked to time. When you change the tempo they move to another time. Which is an essential feature if you score to video and want to mark certain scenes

jonljacobi

Post by jonljacobi » Mon May 08, 2023 3:36 pm

Ah, that is an issue. I didn't see mention of locking to that point. +1 then.

jonljacobi

Post by jonljacobi » Mon May 08, 2023 4:34 pm

Hey, I added a suggestion for this at centercode. Please go upvote it if you'd like to see this feature.

https://ableton.centercode.com/project/ ... 832b3ddef0