Marching band style of snares rolls

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
itchiamg

Marching band style of snares rolls

Post by itchiamg » Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:01 pm

Hello,

Does anyone know how to produce marching band style of snare rolls like in this track?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YC6Tor75neY

Can you share your best ideas on how to achieve this type of sound with Ableton 10 & Push?

Thank you in advance!

I.

jestermgee

Re: Marching band style of snares rolls

Post by jestermgee » Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:02 am

Love how that song does absolutely nothing for the first 3 minutes, inspired!

But it helps if you start with an instrument (not a sample) that has the velocity layers to make it build or there are some instruments/multi samples that have separate hits for the left/right hands and also rolls so you can blend them seamlessly.

If you only have a simple single velocity sample that just gets quieter the lighter you play it it's not going to sound right and will sound electronic but you can create some velocity envelopes on a filter to slightly increase the highs the harder you hit. But typically it will be an instrument for making that kind of sound. I think there are some in the Komplete bundle. I know I have some in EastWest somewhere.

Ste_clectic

Post by Ste_clectic » Thu Sep 06, 2018 5:28 pm

Consider that when a drummer plays a fast snare role they don't lift their arm for every hit. Rather, they let the drumstick bounce on the skin 2 or 3 times. As the stick loses kinetic energy the hits will get closer together. You could replicate this by setting up a delay with a very short feedback, 45% wet and set the timing such that the repeats speed up slightly. You could automate this effect in for faster rolls.

As jestermgee suggested, a multi-sampled acoustic snare will work best.

Try adding a touch of random velocity groove. That should get you in the right ballpark.

itchiamg

Post by itchiamg » Tue Oct 02, 2018 5:26 pm

Thank you for your replies guys!