Is there a way to have ableton recognize an older keyboard

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Beta4

Is there a way to have ableton recognize an older keyboard

Post by Beta4 » Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:52 pm

I'm kind new to this, but i have followed a tutorial on youtube to set up midi playback but it will not show on ableton live 10. It is a Yamaha EZ-30 older keyboard, and I have the mackie producer 2x2 hooked up. I have plugged in one my midi out from keyboard to midi in on the mackie device, and then plugged the midi out from the mackie device to the EZ-30 midi in. I hope I did this correctly, I am a newbie and the manual for the EZ-30 i found on the internet lead me to believe thats how I plug it into the interface and finally plugged the mackie producer into by computer.

Any help would be appreciated, and I hope I asked this question in the correct forum, any help would be appreciated. The video for the tutorial was this below. Thanks again.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWOXblksDxE

silversurfer60

Re: Is there a way to have ableton recognize an older keyboard

Post by silversurfer60 » Thu Sep 19, 2019 6:12 pm

You have to go the live preferences, select midi link. Under Midi Ports you will see the midi input/output from your keyboard. Turn on Track, if you have knobs, turn Remote on too.

TLW

Re: Is there a way to have ableton recognize an older keyboard

Post by TLW » Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:45 pm

If the keyboard is connected to the MIDI sockets on the Mackie Live almost certainly won't show the keyboard itself in preferences. What it will show is the MIDI ports on the Mackie.

Devices using MIDI over USB can identify themselves over the USB link via their driver or the OS if they're class compliant. MIDI using 5 pin plugs has no way to pass "downstream" what the device is.

To use the keyboard you'll need to enable the Mackie MIDI ports in Live's preferences.

As for age related MIDI problems, there's aren't any. Anything with 5 pin MIDI sockets should work with any modern DAW or hardware, assuming the device itself is functioning OK. The original MIDI functions haven't been changed or replaced since MIDI was invented in the 1980s. New things do sometimes get added, but rarely, and none of them mean older equipment won't work.
Live 10 Suite, 2020 27" iMac, 3.6 GHz i9, MacOS Catalina, RME UFX, assorted synths, guitars and stuff.