Newbie Q's

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Unit1248

Newbie Q's

Post by Unit1248 » Sat Aug 08, 2020 4:50 pm

Hey, So I'm currently using the trial of ableton. The software is really great, but I have a few questions:

1. I purchased a bunch of drum sounds and they come with ableton .als projects that hold drum racks. When I load up a rack, I have to re sync the .wav files. there were some duplicates, but I think I did this correctly because drum sounds play, but simpler is in multi sample mode and I'm not sure how to see the waveform. I tried un-grouping the drums, moving the drum to another track, but nothing changes. I can switch to sampler, but simpler is essentially locked off. Can I fix this or should I just make my own racks with the wav files?

2. Is there a workaround for me to be able to control notes for each drum pad through a piano roll similar to other daws? I understand the drum rack can't function this way, but maybe with a send chain from a midi channel? I prefer this to automating pitch/transpose. but I don't know how to do this properly yet.

3. External Sample editor? In terms of loading, editing, modifying samples, do you just load everything into the daw and cut/stretch/loop w/ simpler/sampler? if its better to do it externally what works best?

Cheers

jlgrimes

Re: Newbie Q's

Post by jlgrimes » Sun Aug 09, 2020 1:33 am

Unit1248 wrote:
Sat Aug 08, 2020 4:50 pm
Hey, So I'm currently using the trial of ableton. The software is really great, but I have a few questions:

1. I purchased a bunch of drum sounds and they come with ableton .als projects that hold drum racks. When I load up a rack, I have to re sync the .wav files. there were some duplicates, but I think I did this correctly because drum sounds play, but simpler is in multi sample mode and I'm not sure how to see the waveform. I tried un-grouping the drums, moving the drum to another track, but nothing changes. I can switch to sampler, but simpler is essentially locked off. Can I fix this or should I just make my own racks with the wav files?

2. Is there a workaround for me to be able to control notes for each drum pad through a piano roll similar to other daws? I understand the drum rack can't function this way, but maybe with a send chain from a midi channel? I prefer this to automating pitch/transpose. but I don't know how to do this properly yet.

3. External Sample editor? In terms of loading, editing, modifying samples, do you just load everything into the daw and cut/stretch/loop w/ simpler/sampler? if its better to do it externally what works best?

Cheers
2. In Live, I would either use one Simpler when you need to control notes this way (although I got pretty good with drawing transpose envelopes).

3. I rarely need an external editor. Much quicker to use Live when just doing basic editing. That said certain functions like drawing out pops and clicks is not possible in Live.

Unit1248

Re: Newbie Q's

Post by Unit1248 » Sun Aug 09, 2020 4:11 pm

jlgrimes wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 1:33 am
Unit1248 wrote:
Sat Aug 08, 2020 4:50 pm

Cheers
2. In Live, I would either use one Simpler when you need to control notes this way (although I got pretty good with drawing transpose envelopes).

3. I rarely need an external editor. Much quicker to use Live when just doing basic editing. That said certain functions like drawing out pops and clicks is not possible in Live.
Awesome thanks.

2.So just save myself the time and hassle and just bring in the .wav file by itself. that works.

3. That is exactly why I'm wondering. If i modify a drum sound and it brings out a hidden click/pop in the sample how would I buff it out?