Need assistance with headphones

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
BobInSeattle

Need assistance with headphones

Post by BobInSeattle » Sun Jan 01, 2023 7:01 am

New Ableton Live 11 Suite user here. For Christmas I received my Ableton license, a Focusrite Scarlett audio interface, and an AKG P120 mic. I also received a pair of Beyerdynamic DT 779 Pro headphones. The problem is, I can hardly hear anything out of these headphones, they are way too soft, no matter how high I turn up monitoring.

The headphones are rated at 250 Ohms and I suspect that this is the problem. My wife bought these for me and in looking over her Amazon order, it appears that she had the option of 250, 32, or 80 ohm, and she chose 250 (I guess under the theory that bigger is better lol). Does this sound right, is this my problem? If so, which ohmage should I exchange these for, 32 or 80?

Thanks for your patience dealing with a complete music production noob. I am a quick learner and will be up to speed soon, having a wonderful time learning Ableton Live, but I've got a lot to learn.

Thanks for any insights or suggestions!

BobInSeattle
Men do not stop playing because they grow old, they grow old because they stop playing. - Oliver Wendell Holmes

lincolnkid

Re: Need assistance with headphones

Post by lincolnkid » Sun Jan 01, 2023 11:15 am

It does sound like you need a lower impedance. They have some advice here https://support.focusrite.com/hc/en-gb/ ... interface-

RobrechtV

Post by RobrechtV » Sun Jan 01, 2023 11:33 am

That is a pretty awesome Christmas gift! And your wife was right, higher impedance is better in theory, but it also requires more power to drive. From the link above, it appears that the lower model number Scarlett interfaces can drive up to 200 ohms headphones, so if you can still exchange them, 80 should sound great.

Greenapples2019

Post by Greenapples2019 » Sun Jan 01, 2023 12:33 pm

I have the 80ohm model and they do sound great through my Focusrite; fairly neutral and not at all fatiguing. They need a boost - my Mac's headphone port can't power them enough but once they're driven they're a solid headphone for the price.

miyaru

Post by miyaru » Mon Jan 02, 2023 8:02 pm

Trevbo wrote:
Mon Jan 02, 2023 5:55 pm
To be honest I would keep the headphones and get a better audio device.
I don’t think the Focusrite is a bad interface. For starters it is more then adequate.

I trust Focusrite for their reliability and their decent drivers. OK, you can buy the likes of a RME Babyface for more than tripple te cost, but why start there? The RME is better, but do you need it to start out?

Nah, stick with the Focusrite and exchange the cans for the 80 Ohms version.
Greetings from Miyaru.
Prodaw i7-7700, 16Gb Ram, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 3rd gen, ESI M4U eX, Reason 12, Live Suit 10, Push2, Presonus Eris E8 and Monitor Station V2, Lexicon MPX1,
Korg N1, Yamaha RM1x :mrgreen:

RobrechtV

Post by RobrechtV » Mon Jan 02, 2023 9:09 pm

Yeah, if Amazon will exchange them at no extra cost – they're the same price so in theory they should – I think the 80 ohms version is the way to go. No need to spend extra money on a higher-end interface you may never need.

I have the 250 ones and they're very precise and "honest" and perfect for detailed mixing, but they're not necessarily the best tool for every job. I've heard the 80 ohms version is a little more pleasant to listen through. But the difference would be subtle anyway.

miyaru

Post by miyaru » Mon Jan 02, 2023 11:32 pm

RobrechtV wrote:
Mon Jan 02, 2023 9:09 pm
But the difference would be subtle anyway.
I really don’t think he will hear the difference……
Greetings from Miyaru.
Prodaw i7-7700, 16Gb Ram, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 3rd gen, ESI M4U eX, Reason 12, Live Suit 10, Push2, Presonus Eris E8 and Monitor Station V2, Lexicon MPX1,
Korg N1, Yamaha RM1x :mrgreen: