Ghost notes caused by MIDI Controller?

Discuss Live-ready controllers other than Push.
Végétarium

Ghost notes caused by MIDI Controller?

Post by Végétarium » Thu Feb 23, 2023 3:34 pm

Hi everyone!

I'm sorry if this as been adressed before or if it is a simple feature that I didn't understood but I've searched many places and did not found an answer.

There is my challenge: I try to map different commands (On/off tracks, play clips, activate/deactivate effects) to keys or buttons on my MIDI controller. It works, but it also generates piano sounds when I use the command. These piano sounds correspond to keys I mapped to the command (for ex: I map the start of a clip on the C4 key, when I press that key, Live starts the clip but I also hear a loud C4 in a piano sound.). I understand a certain logic there BUT:

1. I have no MIDI track in my session. Only audio tracks. (Same problem happens in sessions with MIDI tracks tough)
2. The piano sounds do not appear in my master track in Live, but they appear in the general mixer of my computer. I have no other software opened.
3. Piano notes are also heard when I use the mapped elements with my mouse, for instance: put off a track.

So... is it something common? Otherwise, are there ways, maybe, to change the «name» of the keys of my controllers so they aren't recognised as keys anymore, only buttons.

My MIDI controllers are APC40 MKII and Alesis VI49.
I use Live 11 Suite (Trial version for now but I have the same problem with Live 9 Standard) with Windows 11 (but I had the same problem with Windows 10).

Thank you veeeery much.

yur2die4

Re: Ghost notes caused by MIDI Controller?

Post by yur2die4 » Fri Feb 24, 2023 4:12 am

Sometimes a computer’s sound card has a built in midi soundboard. And if you have Live send midi out to that GM soundboard via Live’s MIDI Preferences any midi activity that happens, that Live is transmitting, will trigger that soundboard and cause it to make sounds.

Végétarium

Re: Ghost notes caused by MIDI Controller?

Post by Végétarium » Fri Mar 03, 2023 2:32 pm

Wow...! I tought it was something like this but I didn't knew where to look.
Thanks a lot! It was really simple and it helps me so much.