Edited or deleted audio still plays original audio

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
db1212

Edited or deleted audio still plays original audio

Post by db1212 » Sun Apr 02, 2023 8:30 pm

In arrangement view, when I edit or delete specific waveforms on a track, it still plays the original/un-edited audio. Consolidating does not fix the problem.

Here's a short video I made:
https://youtu.be/aYwGSNa0W60

I'm either a super newbie or there's something seriously wrong here. Thanks for checking this out!

RobrechtV

Re: Edited or deleted audio still plays original audio

Post by RobrechtV » Sun Apr 02, 2023 9:02 pm

Are you using Melodyne on that track?

Once you've loaded audio into Melodyne, it takes over that part of the track and plays the contents of its editor instead. So if you delete or change what was there in Ableton, you won't hear those changes until you've loaded them into Melodyne again. There's a way to 'release' the track again but I don't remember exactly how it's done.
Last edited by RobrechtV on Sun Apr 02, 2023 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

db1212

Post by db1212 » Sun Apr 02, 2023 9:08 pm

Yes. Yes I am. And now I'm understanding what I'm hearing is Melodyne's output.

Is there any trick for getting around this?

RobrechtV

Post by RobrechtV » Sun Apr 02, 2023 9:14 pm

It's been a while since I've worked with Melodyne and I don't have it installed on my laptop so I can't look for it right now. But I do remember there was a way.

I think you start by deleting the waveforms in the Melodyne editor where you want to hear the original audio again, and then you can somehow tell Melodyne to only take over the track where it still has waveforms loaded.

RobrechtV

Post by RobrechtV » Sun Apr 02, 2023 9:45 pm

Aha! Got it.

Melodyne calls the places where it takes over the track "Replace Ranges". They're indicated by lighter grey regions in the timeline (if you have Options>Note Editor>Show Replace Ranges enabled). You can drag their edges to change where Melodyne takes over.

You can also delete the waveforms (blobs) in the Melodyne editor where you want to hear the original audio again, and then right click in the timeline and select "Set Replace Ranges to Notes". That will limit Melodyne to those regions where it still contains blobs, and outside those, you will hear the original track again. That way, you can keep using Melodyne exactly where you need it, and only there.

db1212

Post by db1212 » Sun Apr 02, 2023 9:57 pm

Huge, huge help! Your effort is very much appreciated. Thanks!

RobrechtV

Post by RobrechtV » Sun Apr 02, 2023 10:39 pm

No prob, glad it helped!!

(I was stumped by the same thing when I first worked with Melodyne, and I remember it took me a while to find the solution—it's not very wel documented at all. Maybe this thread will help others as well.)