MIDI Remote Scripts not showing up

Discuss Live-ready controllers other than Push.
panten

MIDI Remote Scripts not showing up

Post by panten » Sat Apr 22, 2023 10:42 pm

Using Live 11 Suite (11.2.11)
I've recently attempted to create my own Remote Script for Push2 User mode and can't for the life of me get it to show up under control surfaces in Preferences > Link Tempo MIDI. I tried a number of publicly available Remote Scripts and it's the same deal. I've had this working in the past with Stray's PXT-Live and + scripts so it's something to do with this later version of Live.
I've tried all the usual spots for placing my Remote Scripts.

Anyone have any ideas or is it over to the Ableton support?

yur2die4

Re: MIDI Remote Scripts not showing up

Post by yur2die4 » Sun Apr 23, 2023 12:35 pm

There are two Kinds of options.

One of the options uses something more like Coding to make functionality for controllers. This is what’s used for advanced stuff but is usually what’s made for manufacturer controllers and specialized functionality added to Live.

The OTHER option is what you’ve mentioned ‘User Remote Script’, which is a lot more like a ‘script’, or has a few referenced items that you plug in and it gives those functions to those controls under the hood where there is already a complex code pre-written for handling it.

The User Remote Scripts are actually placed in a different directory than standard full blown coded versions. To see how you handle those, it might be easiest to search videos where people are dealing with user remote scripts specifically.

panten

Post by panten » Sun Apr 23, 2023 4:05 pm

Thanks for the response yur2die4. It was specifically Python scripts I'm interested in creating.

I followed the instructions here to no avail.
https://help.ableton.com/hc/en-us/artic ... 0dropdown.

fnord-23

Post by fnord-23 » Sun Apr 23, 2023 4:34 pm

Which folder did you copy the scripts into?

Are you on PC or Mac?

Also, most importantly, what's the error message in Ableton's log.txt?
Last edited by fnord-23 on Sun Apr 23, 2023 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pottering

Post by pottering » Sun Apr 23, 2023 4:45 pm

https://help.ableton.com/hc/en-us/artic ... te-scripts
Note:

Live 10 and earlier version use Python 2 for scripts, while Live 11 introduces Python 3.

This upgrade to Python 3 in Live 11 will prevent any outdated third-party or custom remote scripts from working. Once the manufacture(s) update their scripts to include the Python 3 update, they should work normally in Live 11.
♥♥♥

panten

Post by panten » Sun Apr 23, 2023 5:01 pm

@pottering - this is correct

@fnord-23 - PC user here. I've tried all the recommended folders. The one under Roaming, the one in ProgramData, the Remote Scripts one you can create under the User Library. I created a very simple script with Python 3 syntax that defines a basic control surface class with no functionality other than initializing the control surface object. This was just to test that Ableton was able to recognise the script.
There is no mention of a any python scripts not compiling or any mention of the script that I placed in the User Library or any other location. As I stated earlier Live isn't even recognising that there's a custom folder at all.

It's a bit of a puzzle.

fnord-23

Post by fnord-23 » Sun Apr 23, 2023 5:48 pm

Okay, I hope this help, i had the same problem just now. In the end creating the folder in the user library (under the path set in the settings) DID work. Also, live scans the folder immediately at startup. Just starting live and closing again is enough to get the compiler log in Ableton's log.txt. of course once it compiles and you make changes it's best to delete the compiled files in order to force Ableton to compile again.

The term you are looking for in the log is "RemoteScriptError". Nothing there?

Also, what I did to check it's working is to use launchpad95, it's for free. It's a script that's well maintained, if that's showing up you know you have the right folder.

Let me know how it goes I try to modify the Akai midimix script (see other post here) but getting errors from the compiler. Unfortunately I don't know enough about python yet it seems.

randi

Post by randi » Tue May 09, 2023 2:32 pm

panten wrote:
Sun Apr 23, 2023 5:01 pm
@pottering - this is correct

@fnord-23 - PC user here. I've tried all the recommended folders. The one under Roaming, the one in ProgramData, the Remote Scripts one you can create under the User Library. I created a very simple script with Python 3 syntax that defines a basic control surface class with no functionality other than initializing the control surface object. This was just to test that Ableton was able to recognise the script.
There is no mention of a any python scripts not compiling or any mention of the script that I placed in the User Library or any other location. As I stated earlier Live isn't even recognising that there's a custom folder at all.

It's a bit of a puzzle.
can you post the script here? Also make sure that there are no spaces in the file and folder names