Missing files

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Stone Guest

Missing files

Post by Stone Guest » Thu Aug 31, 2023 10:51 pm

Hi Folks

I have been working on a session for a few weeks now and one of the instruments is a 1.8Gb rack of drum samples. The session has always been slow to load and sometimes greyed out with a 'not responding' message, although it always recovered from this.

Yesterday the file would not load and consistently stopped at 'loading samples 40%'. The only other samples in the session are an Ableton 808 kit so I assumed the problem was with the 1.8Gb instrument. Because I couldn't open the file I couldn't delete the rack and resave but I found that if I disconnected everything from my laptop (MIDI interface, audio interface etc) the file would open fully and allow me to delete the rack and resave. Now when I open the file it complains of 95 missing files and the rack's samples are listed as missing in the file manager.

This doesn't make sense because now the rack is no longer part of the arrangement, the files are not being used. The track that the rack was used in now only contains MIDI clips, and these are note info only with no reference to the previously used rack or samples. I've tried resaving a couple of times but the files are still listed as missing.

Does anyone know where the Ableton session file might still be holding on to the file information, even when the rack instrument is gone?

pottering

Re: Missing files

Post by pottering » Fri Sep 01, 2023 4:58 am

Probably a backup in the Project's Backup folder.
♥♥♥

Stone Guest

Re: Missing files

Post by Stone Guest » Fri Sep 01, 2023 6:38 am

That's it. Thanks very much!