Plugin Window Load Optimizations in Live 12?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
jezric

Plugin Window Load Optimizations in Live 12?

Post by jezric » Sat Nov 18, 2023 6:32 am

Notice how when you first open a plugin window (the wrench show/hide plugin window button), it takes a bit to open and hangs the whole UI while doing it? After it does this initial load, if you click the wrench again (not close the window with the X), it just hides it but keeps it in memory so, it opens up super quick when click the wrench button again (or the keyboard shortcut).

This means that when you close the window with the X, it unloads it from memory and when you click the wrench button again it takes a long time and hangs the UI again while loading. This isn't a system dependent issue, happens on all my computers, which are all high spec.

So... The question is, are we going to see any improvements to this in Live 12? I try to use the keyboard shortcut to show/hide (which isn't a convenient one with your left hand) but am so programmed to click that X and then ... bam, it unloads and I gotta wait for it to long load again on open.

Would love to see a minimize button for the plugin windows (like other DAWs do it), or some option to keep all plugin window in memory so they don't need to keep reloading when you re-open them.