Melodyne 5 compatibility with Live 11 Lite

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
IrisAlmighty

Melodyne 5 compatibility with Live 11 Lite

Post by IrisAlmighty » Fri Nov 24, 2023 10:25 pm

Hi Everyone!
Anybody knows if I can have Melodyne work properly as a plugin in Live 11 Lite version?

Thanks for all the help! :D

B4L

Re: Melodyne 5 compatibility with Live 11 Lite

Post by B4L » Sat Nov 25, 2023 11:48 am

Yep should work fine

sonik777

Post by sonik777 » Sat Nov 25, 2023 1:20 pm

Yes and no. The plug in itself works, but Ableton apparently refuses to implement ARA 2 support. Which is a major component of Melodyne.

It's been one of the top feature requests for years, but we all know how much Ableton cares about things people actually want.

;)

jlgrimes

Post by jlgrimes » Sat Nov 25, 2023 4:01 pm

sonik777 wrote:
Sat Nov 25, 2023 1:20 pm
Yes and no. The plug in itself works, but Ableton apparently refuses to implement ARA 2 support. Which is a major component of Melodyne.

It's been one of the top feature requests for years, but we all know how much Ableton cares about things people actually want.

;)

Yes. I was hoping 12 would have it especially that decent comping is now present.

That said you can currently use Melodyne a couple of ways.

1. As a VST3.

This method is more laborious as you have to manually record each track in Melodyne and also this method is a bit unintuitive especially if you are doing plugin chains which you probably are with vocals.

2. As an audio editor.

This method works fairly well as you don't have to record audio into Melodyne. Only two gripes with this is that the process is destructive editing and that it is much harder to audition tracks with reference of mix. Probably best to designate your workflow as a separate editing process before mixing to comp and tune vocals before actually mixing song.

I'm guessing this is highly on Ableton's radar as it is one of the most requested features.

Question is would midi 2.0 precede this? I'm guessing no as this is still a fairly new concept but with improved piano roll tells me they might be leaning on implementing this because of mpe and improved browser.

That said, they might also make ARA a minor release as some DAWS such as Reaper done this and Ableton is known for implementing big features in minor releases as well.

IrisAlmighty

Post by IrisAlmighty » Sat Nov 25, 2023 9:35 pm

Hey,
Thanks for all the replies.
Just to make sure- I have Ableton live 11 lite. It states that it supports VST
And I bought Melodyne 5 where it states it supports VST3
Does that mean I cannot use Melodyne within my Ableton? Regardless of the ARA.

jlgrimes

Post by jlgrimes » Sun Nov 26, 2023 2:31 am

:roll:
IrisAlmighty wrote:
Sat Nov 25, 2023 9:35 pm
Hey,
Thanks for all the replies.
Just to make sure- I have Ableton live 11 lite. It states that it supports VST
And I bought Melodyne 5 where it states it supports VST3
Does that mean I cannot use Melodyne within my Ableton? Regardless of the ARA.
VST = VST 2.4 and VST3

so Melodyne will work. Even without VST3 Melodyne works as an audio editor as well and IMO since Ableton doesn't support ARA, I think it would work better this way as you don't have to record the audio into Melodyne.