Automating parameters of third-party plugins via macros

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
scg

Automating parameters of third-party plugins via macros

Post by scg » Sat Feb 03, 2024 9:12 am

I hadn't really thought about this much before, but it seems there are some limitations with automating configured parameters of third-party plugins using macros. (Maybe this is user error, but I did quite a bit of searching on the topic.)

When you map a configured parameter of a third-party plugin to a macro, the macro can only display the default 0-127 range. Empirically, this doesn't seem to limit the resolution of the actual parameter - by e.g. shift-dragging the macro for finer control, you can still access the full resolution of the mapped parameter (which sometimes means moving through multiple parameter values within a single integer macro value).

In the automation editor, for a configured parameter itself, you generally get the actual units and range of that parameter. But for a macro mapped to a configured parameter, you only get the 0-127 range, and can only display, manipulate, and set the automation values using integers in that range (or so it seems). While macros obviously have a lot of advantages, this seems to make automating configured plugin parameters via macros less convenient (and perhaps less accurate) than automating them directly.

Am I missing anything there? Is it true that automating parameters of third-party plugins via macros has these limitations? If so, are there any workarounds?

S4racen

Re: Automating parameters of third-party plugins via macros

Post by S4racen » Sat Feb 03, 2024 9:18 am

The only workaround that I know of is to use maxforlive to iterate through the 0-127 range and grab the values for displaying on a live.dial.

This though changes the dial to the enumeration type which can be automated but not modulated.

Maybe this will change in the future but it's been this way since days began.

Here's my device that does this if you want to see if it works well enough for your means.

https://isotonikstudios.com/product/liv ... k-studios/

Cheers
D

scg

Post by scg » Sat Feb 03, 2024 9:30 am

S4racen wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2024 9:18 am
The only workaround that I know of is to use maxforlive to iterate through the 0-127 range and grab the values for displaying on a live.dial.

This though changes the dial to the enumeration type which can be automated but not modulated.

Maybe this will change in the future but it's been this way since days began.

Here's my device that does this if you want to see if it works well enough for your means.

https://isotonikstudios.com/product/liv ... k-studios/

Cheers
D
Thanks for the reply :D I figured it was probably just an unavoidable limitation. Obviously the issue isn't a showstopper or anything, but I did bookmark your M4L device in case I decide to dig deeper at some point.

Thanks again!

S4racen

Post by S4racen » Sat Feb 03, 2024 9:57 am

No worries :-)

Cheers
D