See pictures of Live in action on iBook and Vaio

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Maxim

See pictures of Live in action on iBook and Vaio

Post by Maxim » Mon Mar 04, 2002 3:26 pm

Hi everybody,

We got a lot of pictures online of our latest show using Live on an iBook and a Sony Vaio. Check it out and see how we did it.

http://www.artefact-music.com
click on "enter website" and then on the "live" tab.

Any questions are welcome.

yours,

-maxim & hans
artefact & budha building

SongCarver

niiice

Post by SongCarver » Mon Mar 04, 2002 10:24 pm

Had a listen and a look maxim.

Very cool. Good songs

Q. Do you sample the vocals live? Or do any real-time recording on stage.... Did I see an external hard-disk...

Q. Was that an "Oxygen" Keyboard I saw in the photos?

Q. Are the pseudo arabian vocals original samples?

Q.What other software do you use on stage... VSTi's ??

Q. Is this what you do for a living...eg sell lots of CDs and get gigs..?

Nice site too... Yvette's voice reminds me of Madonna.

Post by Guest » Tue Mar 05, 2002 8:48 am

Hi SongCarver,

>Very cool. Good songs
Thanks a lot

>Q. Do you sample the vocals live? Or do any real-time recording on stage.... Did I see an external hard-disk...
Not at this moment. But I am planning to do that. I wanted to play it safe and used OSX. Currently there is no 3rd party audio hardware available for X.
Yes, that is an external firewire drive you saw. 20gb. I use it for backup. Ie. when I accidently delete something. I don't use it for streaming because the firewire (socket) connection is not very tight. There is a risk it disconnects during the show and you're dead meat.

>Q. Was that an "Oxygen" Keyboard I saw in the photos?
Yep, that's right. I just bought it. Only I couldn't use the usb port on it b/c Midiman didn't update their website correctly. So I had to use a Midisport 2x2 for midi.

>Q. Are the pseudo arabian vocals original samples?
Unfortunately not. They are from sample cds.

>Q.What other software do you use on stage... VSTi's ??
Live only.

Q. Is this what you do for a living...eg sell lots of CDs and get gigs..?
Ha. No. I wish. Currently I'm doing this next to a daytime job. But Hans from Budha Building is making a living out of this next to his commercial productions.

yours,

Maxim

Post by Maxim » Tue Mar 05, 2002 8:49 am

Oops, forgot to login :-)

yours,

FORMAT

I BOOK MUSIC

Post by FORMAT » Tue Mar 05, 2002 11:41 am

Hi Maxim,
very brave of you to go out and rely on computers.... I didn't see any vaios on those pictures though....
Is your ibook configured professionally or just off the shelf? or are you pretty proficient at tweaking? what kind of audio interface are you using? how many tracks/FX do you get?
I am thinking about getting a Tibook... so that's why I'm asking
Thanx
Format

FORMAT

Post by FORMAT » Tue Mar 05, 2002 11:41 am

ohhh and I forgot: What is the sony model you're using?

Maxim

Post by Maxim » Tue Mar 05, 2002 12:15 pm

The last few pics at the bottom are with Vaio.
I don't know about the specs, I'd have to ask him.

I tweaked OSX a bit but nothing special. I used only built in audio-out. I used about 8 effects, and 12 tracks per song.

FORMAT

sony/ibook

Post by FORMAT » Tue Mar 05, 2002 2:35 pm

Is there any specific reason for using both a vaio and a g3? I would have thought it is much simpler (and also cheaper...) to run everything on the same platform (file exchange, know-how, licenses....)
I am facing a purchasing decision, thus all my questions
Regards

Format

Maxim

Post by Maxim » Tue Mar 05, 2002 3:13 pm

No no. We are 2 different acts. But were on the same stage that evening. And he's a pc user I am a mac-user. :-)

proschuto

viao and ibook synced???

Post by proschuto » Tue Mar 05, 2002 5:14 pm

hi maxim,
have you tried to sync viao and the ibook???

Maxim

Post by Maxim » Tue Mar 05, 2002 5:19 pm

no, there was no reason for that.

puthupa

Post by puthupa » Tue Mar 05, 2002 11:57 pm

Maxim,

We liked your songs a lot - that album sale that rang up just now was us. Looking forward to hearing more!

puthupa

Maxim

Post by Maxim » Wed Mar 06, 2002 8:36 am

Thanks a lot to everybody. :D

Creeper

Post by Creeper » Fri Mar 08, 2002 11:31 am

Holy Moly!

That was great Maxim. Your band is very talented and I think you stand a good chance at being commercially successful. Although I write and DJ deep trance, I have been a long time fan of artists like FSOL, Waterbone, Deep Forest, Bally Sagoo, Aria, Makyo, and so on. You definitely fill the gap between world music and trip hop. Nice blend! :-)

I have a TiBook but don't really use it for music at the moment other than programming ReBirth riffs when I don't feel like going into the studio. In the studio I work on a G4. My most recent material was written with outboard studio gear, but lately I have been experimenting with Reason and I love it. Unfortunately no [midi] sequencer package has a 100% solid Rewire2 implimentation, but now I'm testing Live 1.1 with Reason and using the VST effects to process my Reason instruments and that opens up a whole new breath of fresh air for Reason and it's sonic capability. I acutally enjoy the small but solid sequencer in Reason as opposed to something big and fluffy. I've used Cubase 5.1 with Reason/Rewire and it's not bad, but I am just not a huge Cubase fanatic plus there are a few minor bugs to work out. Digital Performer has a timing bug and Logic is not Rewire2 enabled yet. Live seems to be rock solid. :-)

~mark

katmeho

Post by katmeho » Tue Mar 12, 2002 12:39 am

Hey Maxim,
thats some very very nice stuff you have going there...just wanted to give props...
katmeho of katfish....