Anyone Out There Tried Guitar Rig 2 Yet?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Hypomixolydian

Anyone Out There Tried Guitar Rig 2 Yet?

Post by Hypomixolydian » Sun Dec 11, 2005 1:19 pm

Hi,

As the header says, has anyone out ther tried Guitar Rig 2 yet? How does it compare to version 1? Is it worth the update? Is there much difference? Is it less CPU heavy (I hope so)? Is there much improvement if at all?

Thanks

gomi

Re: Anyone Out There Tried Guitar Rig 2 Yet?

Post by gomi » Sun Dec 11, 2005 3:53 pm

Astral Fridge Magnet wrote:Hi,

As the header says, has anyone out ther tried Guitar Rig 2 yet? How does it compare to version 1? Is it worth the update? Is there much difference? Is it less CPU heavy (I hope so)? Is there much improvement if at all?

Thanks
I tried the demo, it's pretty much the same, they added some automation tools
like an lfo and a step sequencer.. i won't be upgrading anytime soon.

gomi

Re: Anyone Out There Tried Guitar Rig 2 Yet?

Post by gomi » Sun Dec 11, 2005 3:54 pm

gomi wrote: I tried the demo, it's pretty much the same, they added some automation tools
like an lfo and a step sequencer.. i won't be upgrading anytime soon.
oh they added some new amp models, and a bunch of bass cabs...
but really who cares?

ben_blue

Post by ben_blue » Sun Dec 11, 2005 8:28 pm

let's see.

theres a loop machine, 8 amps, 15 guitar and 6 bass cabinets, 4 rotary speakers, 9 microphones with adjustable positioning and 35 effects plus modulation components.
and the modulation can target as many parameters as u want.

for example - an LFO moulating a wah wah +50%, a chorus depth -85%, a volume +100%, etc...

also the new USB 2rig kontrol has a 3 digit status LED to show preset #, is a 24-bit/96kHz USB 2.0 audio interface, has MIDI I/O with activity LEDs, and a bunch more.

my favorites at the moment: MASSIVE. FM8. LIVE 6. Bome's Pro. KORE.

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Mon Dec 12, 2005 1:33 am

personally I think it kicks arse
It was as if someone shook up a 6 foot can of blood soda and suddenly popped the top.

Hypomixolydian

Post by Hypomixolydian » Mon Dec 12, 2005 1:39 am

Johnisfaster wrote:personally I think it kicks arse

But how? Why? I have version 1 but is it so different from the new version? Is there a drastic difference or a minor one?

elt.net

Post by elt.net » Mon Dec 12, 2005 3:32 pm

hi,

i'll try it.
it's ok;
i didn't listen lot's of difference in the sound.

how to navigate between preset by automation ?
i want to use my fcb1010 to change preset.

thx.

micah frank

Post by micah frank » Mon Dec 12, 2005 4:29 pm

Astral Fridge Magnet wrote:
Johnisfaster wrote:personally I think it kicks arse

But how? Why? I have version 1 but is it so different from the new version? Is there a drastic difference or a minor one?
There are many many significant improvements: the GUI, the software functionality, the hardware!

Ben Blue has accurately outlined just some of Guitar Rig 2's enhanced features above. Namely: Bass Amp models, Loop machine, Modulation Functions, and an amazing usb sound card/midi interface/controller that it comes with. Not to mention a whole slew of awesome new presets and cabinet models!

Bazz

Post by Bazz » Mon Dec 12, 2005 6:24 pm

I suspect that it depends on how you use GT and what controller/interface you use whether version 2.0 is a big deal.

If you use classic guitar sounds and have a decent audio interface and foot controller then your probably not getting too much new. The looper, high quality mode, some new amps and the bass rigs. Then again the software upgrade doesn't cost much.

If you like unusual guitar textures than there's plenty in it. The new modulators offer a wealth of programing opertunity. Bizarely a lot of this could alredy be achieved in live using clip envelopes and the library features from 5. It will be nice however to program them within GT and the one controller to multiple locations and multiple controllers to one location options for the modulation matrix make it pretty flexible.

The new audio interface and controller looks nice but I think that a good midi foot controller and audio interface are more flexible with other applications.

Wish they'd get on with sending out the upgrades outside the USA!

Sinjin

Post by Sinjin » Mon Dec 12, 2005 8:09 pm

honestly, im pretty unimpressed with both guitar rigs. i mean sure, i like some of the fx chains possibilities, but if its just for recording purposes, i get way more mileage and better tone out of my sansamp tri-a.c. and believe me, ive gone out of my way to recreate some sizeable and complicated rigs in guitar rig (i.e. all 3 guitarists from slowdive, the edge circa achtung, baby, etc)

i simply do not like the end result, and the tri-a.c. was only $135.
"I shoulda done the hat dance..."
http://www.myspace.com/ibsinjin - Where I posts my tunes

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Tue Dec 13, 2005 3:01 am

you recorded those guitarists with guitar rig?

the thing I like most about it is the random lfo. something most people aren't interested in but if you are into it then you are really into it.

as far as standard guitar tones I don't think it's that great. but if you're going for some crazy floaty bouncing sounds you can get rediculous ones in it. but I think what they really need to do in the future is make it vst/au hostable so you can have your favorite vst's and au's inside of guitar rig routed inbetween the guitar rig modules. which would make them saved as presets too. convenient and would keep you from having to use 2 guitar rigs.
It was as if someone shook up a 6 foot can of blood soda and suddenly popped the top.

Sinjin

Post by Sinjin » Tue Dec 13, 2005 3:27 am

uh sure...me and edge..you know..we go out and play snooker on thursday nights...
"I shoulda done the hat dance..."
http://www.myspace.com/ibsinjin - Where I posts my tunes

pbajzek

Post by pbajzek » Fri Dec 16, 2005 5:12 am

I love Guitar Rig 2, but I admit I have zero interest in traditional or "classic" guitar sounds. GR1 was great for creating amazing textures and unusual sounds (I sold off a whole rack of TC and Lexicon boxes when I bought it), and GR2 is even better, letting me do some very deep synth-like sound sculpting. It's not just a recording tool for me; I have played live with GR several times.

My only complaint is that GR2 + external MIDI controller (I don't have the Rig Control 2) doesn't work for me in Live! I get a nasty zipper noise when using an external expression pedal. I'm trusting Ableton to fix it, as I really need these two apps to play nice. If anyone else encounters this or has a workaround, please speak up!

I agree it would be cool if GR hosted external plugs (though I imagine there would be some lag time changing patches). As it is, there's very little out there in the way of "multi effects" plugins, and it's nice to be able to load an entire effects chain via a MIDI program control. For live performance, clicking a bunch of buttons or loading device chains from the browser just isn't an option. I'd love to have GR "host" something like FIlterscape or Ronin.