Wu Tang Clan

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
noisetonepause

Wu Tang Clan

Post by noisetonepause » Sat Jul 01, 2006 1:42 pm

Ain't nothing to fuck with...

Seriously, just got 36 Chambers and it just makes me want to make music like nothing else has in ages. Those productions are just incredible.
Suit #1: I mean, have you got any insight as to why a bright boy like this would jeopardize the lives of millions?
Suit #2: No, sir, he says he does this sort of thing for fun.

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Sat Jul 01, 2006 2:25 pm

Also check out the Kill Bill sound track. Has a lot of cool sounds by RZA.

LOFA

Post by LOFA » Sat Jul 01, 2006 2:53 pm

36 chambers is the reason hip hop was created. Not to mention Staten island.

lord toranaga

Post by lord toranaga » Sat Jul 01, 2006 3:07 pm

you're a decade late with your discovery.

But, your statement is highly accurate.
Peace & Love, Lord Toranaga

noisetonepause

Post by noisetonepause » Sat Jul 01, 2006 3:07 pm

LOFA wrote:36 chambers is the reason hip hop was created. Not to mention Staten island.
Wouldn't take it that far - Public Enemy? Eric B. & Rakim? And umm... NWA?
Suit #1: I mean, have you got any insight as to why a bright boy like this would jeopardize the lives of millions?

noisetonepause

Post by noisetonepause » Sat Jul 01, 2006 3:08 pm

lord toranaga wrote:you're a decade late with your discovery.

But, your statement is highly accurate.
Oh, I knew it already, I just didn't buy it till now and I haven't listened in a good while. But it still holds up.

LOFA

Post by LOFA » Sat Jul 01, 2006 4:01 pm

noisetonepause wrote:
LOFA wrote:36 chambers is the reason hip hop was created. Not to mention Staten island.
Wouldn't take it that far - Public Enemy? Eric B. & Rakim? And umm... NWA?
Yeah, it's a matter of taste and opinion. I always liked PE but I thought that a lot of their stuff was really weak. That and my first girlfriend's dad represented Flava Flav in his doemstic abuse trials and I have zero respect for him after hearing the stories.

I always had a hard time getting past NWA's name. Even when I was kid I felt that it was a sort of "cross-roads" sort of deal with their souls. Actually, I love hiphop, but only about 1%, like everything else.

Wu-tang gripped my head like a vice and painted logic behind every crackhead that tried to corner me on a subway car with a box cutter. NWA could never do that.

leisuremuffin

Post by leisuremuffin » Sat Jul 01, 2006 5:02 pm

AHA!

36 chambers is also a great example of how great music does not require great mixing/production.

all of the mixes are horrible. But it's still an amazing record. What you write and record is always more important than the quality of the production.

.lm.
TimeableFloat ???S?e?n?d?I?n?f?o

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Sat Jul 01, 2006 5:16 pm

LOFA wrote:
noisetonepause wrote:Yeah, it's a matter of taste and opinion. I always liked PE but I thought that a lot of their stuff was really weak. That and my first girlfriend's dad represented Flava Flav in his doemstic abuse trials and I have zero respect for him after hearing the stories.

I always had a hard time getting past NWA's name. Even when I was kid I felt that it was a sort of "cross-roads" sort of deal with their souls. Actually, I love hiphop, but only about 1%, like everything else.
I gave up on caring what sort of person a musician is a long time ago. not that you're guilty of this or anything, but the music and the person are separate entities I believe.
Some of my favorite musicians are junkies and abusers of women. Some of my least favorite are stand up people. :)

John Sweet

Post by John Sweet » Sat Jul 01, 2006 7:31 pm

You always feel that contradiction between amazing art and questionable living with Wu, all the way from the second line of the first album: "my Glock burst, leave in a hearse, I did worse/P.L.O. Style…" That really got to me when I was younger.

But the level of commitment & ambition & belief that they all had is so amazing to hear. It's not fair to say they didn't have quality production. They're an outsider, lo-fi, punk kind of thing but the beats RZA made are wildly innovative, intentionally avant garde, and are ripped off everywhere now. I recommend the instrumental white label of ODB's first solo album to anyone who doubts RZA. But I really only pay attention to Ghostface anymore. He's the only one who consistently busts his ass to make good music.

kineticUk

Post by kineticUk » Sat Jul 01, 2006 7:47 pm

leisuremuffin wrote: 36 chambers is also a great example of how great music does not require great mixing/production.
all of the mixes are horrible. But it's still an amazing record. What you write and record is always more important than the quality of the production.
Really ?

::mic-minimal::

Post by ::mic-minimal:: » Sat Jul 01, 2006 8:20 pm

for the love of Live

Michael Hatsis

Post by Michael Hatsis » Sat Jul 01, 2006 8:47 pm

John Sweet wrote: I recommend the instrumental white label of ODB's first solo album to anyone who doubts RZA.
One of my favorite Hip Hops of all time ( First ODB solo album ), The vocal cut is great, mostly ODB off the top, when he was still a little sane.
John Sweet wrote:They're an outsider, lo-fi, punk kind of thing but the beats RZA made are wildly innovative, intentionally avant garde, and are ripped off everywhere now.
Hell Yeah-
I feel this man himself revolutionized the hip hop sound. There were definately innovators before, GangStarr, Hieroglyphics, Tribe, dare i say beastie boys( check your Head )- to name a few. Also to show off RZA beats check out the First Gravediggaz, never anything even close to it before.

Michael

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Sat Jul 01, 2006 10:13 pm

mike@TrackTeam Audio wrote:dare i say beastie boys( check your Head )
Do dare :wink:
You can either recognize the beastie boys by their voices or their sound. You'll always know how to spot their signature...
Hell, even the choreography kicks ass :D

Des la Soul are a must to see Live too!

tylast

Re: Wu Tang Clan

Post by tylast » Sat Jul 01, 2006 10:20 pm

noisetonepause wrote:Ain't nothing to fuck with...

Seriously, just got 36 Chambers and it just makes me want to make music like nothing else has in ages. Those productions are just incredible.
Forget the music, do you know the movie 36 Chambers of Shaolin? I love that old Kung Fu Flick. I had that on DVD before they re-released it. 8)