External MIDI edit

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
headquest

External MIDI edit

Post by headquest » Fri Oct 13, 2006 11:52 pm

FR: kind of like the ability to edit audio clips using an external sample editor... but MIDI.

The idea would be that you can select a MIDI clip and hit the edit button (or similar Live 6 equivalent :wink: ) and hey presto! the MIDI file opens up in another (user-selected default) program for detailed editing.

Specifically I think this wold be useful if used in conjunction with a (MIDI speaking) notation editing program such as Finale or Sibelius. Select a MIDI clip, hit edit, and the score opens up via MIDI in Sibelius! Do some edits, close, and the new version replaces the old back in Live. Sweet, no?!

Others may like to select Logic, Cubase, FL, whatever for doing detailed MIDI editing that cannot presently be done (?).

Comments anyone?
iMac Retina 4K 3.3Ghz i7, 16Gb RAM
Live Suite 9.7.1 + Reason 9.1 + Pianoteq 5 + Sibelius 8.5

Listen on Soundcloud

flipper

Post by flipper » Tue Oct 17, 2006 10:41 pm

HI

Why?

See: 'Detatch piano-roll for MIDI editing!!!' post'

Live needs to provide 'a' way of doing the editing that is user friendly, I don't think the answer lies in buying or using another host to do what Live should be doing better.

Flipper.

noisetonepause

Post by noisetonepause » Tue Oct 17, 2006 10:51 pm

I'm for it and if they do this I'll write a keyboard operated MIDI list view editor.
Suit #1: I mean, have you got any insight as to why a bright boy like this would jeopardize the lives of millions?
Suit #2: No, sir, he says he does this sort of thing for fun.

headquest

Post by headquest » Wed Oct 18, 2006 8:23 am

flipper wrote: Why?
For me, notation. I use Live in conjunction with Audition (which can be accessed from Live via the, erm , Edit button), Reason (which I can rewire in) and Sibelius (which... doesn't integrate at all at present).

It would be nice to finally get all my programs working together, with Live as the real hub.
iMac Retina 4K 3.3Ghz i7, 16Gb RAM
Live Suite 9.7.1 + Reason 9.1 + Pianoteq 5 + Sibelius 8.5

Listen on Soundcloud