linear recording while playing Live

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
OvalGuy

linear recording while playing Live

Post by OvalGuy » Wed Apr 17, 2002 9:34 pm

I would like to be able to trigger and record scenes at the same time that I am recording someone playing live. Tinkering around with Live, it seems like whenever I trigger a new scene, the current record clip is stopped and a new clip within the new scene is created. That would be ok as long as the recorded clips equaled one long performance when played continuously. However, whenever I go back and retrigger a scene, the original recorded clip associated with that scene appears to be deleted and replaced by a new one. I thought maybe the remove slot button command might be the key, but it didn't seem to help. Can I do what I want to do, or will I be forced to use my main sequence (Logic) to record the linear part?

Thanks, Jim

Gerhard

Post by Gerhard » Thu Apr 18, 2002 5:33 pm

Hi Jim,

audio recording in Live works in a, well, live way. Using the session view recording function you basically take snapshots of the audio input. Essentially, you capture loops. Live cannot record audio in a linear, tape-deck kind of way. Not yet.

Gerhard
ableton

OvalGuy

Post by OvalGuy » Fri Apr 19, 2002 2:01 pm

Well, it sounds like there's hope.

Since I’ve already got software coming out my ears, I’ve tried to simulate Live in Logic, but the setup time (rex files, exs24 instruments, sequences and folders, touch tracks, screen sets) is large. I’m very close to buying Live at this point. I particularly like the interface. Logic’s screensets are fine, but they tend to eliminate the need to come up with clever and compact interfaces.

Jim