live 6: dropouts with 10% cpu using dual core????

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
latufe

live 6: dropouts with 10% cpu using dual core????

Post by latufe » Sun Nov 26, 2006 4:40 pm

hy mates!

ive just bought me a new laptop, toshiba sattelite a100, T5500 (2x1.66) 1GBram, 667fsb, nvidia go 7600 (128mb ram), using my old beloved RME multiface... my system is fully audio optimized, no extra services what-so-ever are running, (when i start my machine i have around 830mb of ram free) hard drives are defragmented, no hardware conflicts, everything by the book :)

im expiriecing dropouts when working with live 6(3ms latency-with multiply proccesor enabeld) even with 10% cpu...(no drive overload is indicated) somthing ive never expirienced befor with my old P4 2.8ghz 1GBram....

anyone has encounterd somthing symilar? does anyone know if somthing has changed with the PCMCIA technology?

it seems to make no sens... evrything is working much faster with this machine, but i get those drop outs, dosent matter if its 10% or 50%....

well,

thanks,

L.

Mike Goodwin

Post by Mike Goodwin » Wed Jan 10, 2007 5:25 pm

I am getting this same problem, big dropouts when running at -%cpu. I am running a bran new intel core Duo on a swanky asus motherboard. The soundcard is a bran new firestudio and works fine otherwise. I can run reaktor in stand alone mode and all is fine but big dropouts in live. Not cool. Anyone have any info on this?

djastroboy

Post by djastroboy » Wed Jan 10, 2007 7:19 pm

How about that optimization for "Background processes"?

sebovzeoueb

Post by sebovzeoueb » Wed Jan 10, 2007 7:36 pm

Maybe try adding a bit more latency, 3ms is quite low...
MacBook Pro 17", 2GB RAM; Live 6, Pod XT Live, MOTU Ultralite, M-AUDIO Axiom 25, Electric and Acoustic Ukuleles, Fretless Bass.

http://www.myspace.com/s2belectronica

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Wed Jan 10, 2007 7:37 pm

No real info, but a friend of mine brought over his macbook and has the same problem, but in relation to changing screens in a certain song. Huge latency/dropout the first time, then not so bad the next. We were able to replicate it on my macbook pro as well. loading some of the short drum loops into RAM helped a bit, but it's still evident.
My feeling is that it's Live. I couldn't find any rational explanation for it.

dizzib

Post by dizzib » Wed Jan 10, 2007 10:13 pm

I had a similar problem with a RME digi 96 at 11ms latency -- sporadic cpu spikes causing audio drop-outs. When I switched to my internal Realtek AC97 via ASIO4ALL I haven't had a single dropout at 3ms latency.

I use the pci latency tool (google it) to give the soundcard max priority, and I also use prio.exe (again google it) to set live process priority to high or realtime. Touch wood this is fixed now since it was driving me nuts!!

Andy.

Mike Goodwin

Post by Mike Goodwin » Thu Jan 11, 2007 1:50 am

got home today to find that for no reason at all the problem has gone away. 8O ........ :D I am very very happy about that! I dont know what it was. I just hope it stays away.

evilxsystems

Post by evilxsystems » Thu Jan 11, 2007 5:12 pm

i had a similar problem with my macbook, I would get dropouts at really low cpu and disk loads, but only when I touched the trackpad...increasing the latency fixed it for me, but it definitely seems like live 6 was flaking out...I'm assuming this was graphics issue due to the shared RAM....but who knows...

Pasha

Post by Pasha » Fri Jan 12, 2007 3:59 pm

evilxsystems wrote:i had a similar problem with my macbook, I would get dropouts at really low cpu and disk loads, but only when I touched the trackpad...increasing the latency fixed it for me, but it definitely seems like live 6 was flaking out...I'm assuming this was graphics issue due to the shared RAM....but who knows...
TrackPad is on the USB bus. If using USB Audio this might become an issue.
M-Audio suggest to use the rightmost USB port for Audio, there must be a reason....Should not happen with firewire interface. BTW which Audio Interface are you using?

- Best
- Pasha
Mac Studio M1
Live 12 Suite,Zebra ,Valhalla Plugins, MIDI Guitar (2+3),Guitar, Bass, VG99, GP10, JV1010 and some controllers

evilxsystems

Post by evilxsystems » Sat Jan 13, 2007 12:41 am

Pasha wrote:
M-Audio suggest to use the rightmost USB port for Audio, there must be a reason....Should not happen with firewire interface. BTW which Audio Interface are you using?
Hmm, that's probably it...I'm using an M-audio Transit USB interface...I'll try switching usb ports for the interface...or maybe buy a bluetooth mouse :P or maybe throw the m-audio in the trash and try to use the built in soundcard...
I know the built in soundcard takes spdif but does anyone knowif it can record at 24-bit?

-jason

Pasha

Post by Pasha » Sat Jan 13, 2007 7:19 am

evilxsystems wrote:
Pasha wrote:
Hmm, that's probably it...I'm using an M-audio Transit USB interface...I'll try switching usb ports for the interface...or maybe buy a bluetooth mouse :P or maybe throw the m-audio in the trash and try to use the built in soundcard...
I know the built in soundcard takes spdif but does anyone knowif it can record at 24-bit?

-jason
You need a special cable to sue it as a digital interface (should be named toslink).
However internal soundcard can record as 24bit when used with standard cable.
I have already recorded some tracks that way, results were good. You can go down
128 samples with no glitches,but latency is still beyond 8ms.

- Best
- Pasha
Mac Studio M1
Live 12 Suite,Zebra ,Valhalla Plugins, MIDI Guitar (2+3),Guitar, Bass, VG99, GP10, JV1010 and some controllers

semtek

Post by semtek » Tue Feb 13, 2007 1:39 pm

Have similar problems when i load samples into ram with the RAM switch. Just tried resetting the audio buffer to default (512), it had been at 510 for some reason, and this seems to have helped, perhaps only temporarily though. :roll:

linzatti

Post by linzatti » Tue Feb 13, 2007 6:50 pm

I also have dropouts and glitches in Live 6.0.3 on my new macbook pro. Been trying to set the buffer size value to the highest possible, but this doesn´t help. I am running on the built in soundcard, and have booted my macbook to xp, because I am using alot of free vst´s that doesn´t work on osx. Anyways, seems I get the same dropouts when I play itunes in xp. Could it be the soundcard then? I have a live-gig in less than two weeks, this cannot be happening.

I had no problems like this on my old computer (a P4 3,0 GHZ with 1 gb RAM, and inbuilt crappy soundcard.

linzatti

Post by linzatti » Thu Feb 15, 2007 1:24 am

I solved it by disabling the wireless network in xp. Probably a bug in the Bootcamp Beta.

mattvictory

Drop outs

Post by mattvictory » Fri Feb 16, 2007 12:36 pm

Well< I have just recently started getting a lot of audio dropouts also. the hard drive light doesn't come on in abletons, Just the ableton cpu meter goes to 100% The funny thing is that the cpu readout in my task manager doesn't spike when the drop outs occur. It almost seems like it a program problem? Does anyone have any tips?