Mirror display?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
ze2be

Mirror display?

Post by ze2be » Fri Dec 15, 2006 3:11 pm

Hi!

Im trying to mirror my desktop to a second display. Cant get it to work... there simply are no mirror option in display properties??

Just got a new 20" to my laptop. Works fine and all...

I used to do this on my old powerbook, no problem at all. Cant understand that theres no mirror option?

I tried to install new drivers, but it says it didnt need them, and everything was fine..

I want to have it so that two guys can work in one live project, with each monitor, mouse and keyboard. Usualy one of us are editing, and the other playing, but its nice not to have to fight over the mouse and screen. Eazier for bouth to see whats going on with two screen setups.

Acer aspire laptop + acer 20" lcd w/mouse and qwerty keyboard.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Fri Dec 15, 2006 3:32 pm

Pretty sure you can only use one mouse though????

longjohns

Post by longjohns » Fri Dec 15, 2006 3:59 pm

You can have multiple mice, you just can't use them simultaneously

As to the question, sorry I can't investigate because even though the card on this machine I"m on has 2 outputs, I either don't have the fancy card drivers installed or it's not showing the options because I don't have a second monitor plugged in.

It's just some check boxes or something around the settings page, probably very close to the pic of the 2 screen layout (?)

ze2be

Post by ze2be » Fri Dec 15, 2006 4:06 pm

longjohns wrote:You can have multiple mice, you just can't use them simultaneously

As to the question, sorry I can't investigate because even though the card on this machine I"m on has 2 outputs, I either don't have the fancy card drivers installed or it's not showing the options because I don't have a second monitor plugged in.

It's just some check boxes or something around the settings page, probably very close to the pic of the 2 screen layout (?)

Nope, theres nothin indication the option to mirror display there..

@tarekit: no problem with two mice, but can only use one at the time, without some fancy program, that do exist. But I dont need to use bout at the same time. Just be able to use it from two different work spaces.

edit: there is "extend my desktop to this monitor" check box, but nothing happens, tried many times.. oh well, lets try another restart...

ze2be

Post by ze2be » Fri Dec 15, 2006 4:13 pm

it didnt work. It just extends, it dont mirror...

longjohns

Post by longjohns » Fri Dec 15, 2006 4:49 pm

as I remember it, there was a check box on the second monitor to "extend my desktop onto this monitor"

so with that UNchecked, it would just put the same desktop onto both monitors.

ze2be

Post by ze2be » Fri Dec 15, 2006 5:02 pm

longjohns wrote:as I remember it, there was a check box on the second monitor to "extend my desktop onto this monitor"

so with that UNchecked, it would just put the same desktop onto both monitors.
That just shuts the second monitor of...

longjohns

Post by longjohns » Sat Dec 16, 2006 1:00 am

Then clearly my hazy memories are of little use, sorry...

ze2be

Post by ze2be » Sat Dec 16, 2006 10:51 am

bump!

Aw, bloody windoze...

Downloaded the graphic card drivers form ati, and some program named Hydravision. It can do lots of things, but not mirror the desktop..

Theres no change in windows display properties menu.. Troubleshooting says nothing about it, aparently it is not a problem...

VJ Air

Post by VJ Air » Sat Dec 16, 2006 11:08 am

my laptop does it if i DONT have the ati driver and hydravision installed and just use the standard windows vga driver - thats for an svideo or comp out put for monitor 2. some ati cards will do what you want if you have a second vga output and DONT tick the extend my desktop box.

ze2be

Post by ze2be » Sat Dec 16, 2006 11:16 am

VJ Air wrote:my laptop does it if i DONT have the ati driver and hydravision installed and just use the standard windows vga driver - thats for an svideo or comp out put for monitor 2. some ati cards will do what you want if you have a second vga output and DONT tick the extend my desktop box.
If i dont tick the extend my desktop box, the second screen turns black!!

Its not svideo, its a normal new lcd screen, not dvi but that older plug.. vga?

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Sat Dec 16, 2006 3:20 pm

there should be an Advanced button in the display prefs that gives access to the hardware specific stuff, like cloning screens and so on.
mbp 2.66, osx 10.6.8, 8GB ram.

ze2be

Post by ze2be » Sat Dec 16, 2006 7:12 pm

Machinate wrote:there should be an Advanced button in the display prefs that gives access to the hardware specific stuff, like cloning screens and so on.
Hallo!

Theres no such thing there.. (in the advanced menu)

cinningbao

Post by cinningbao » Sat Dec 16, 2006 8:54 pm

In my experience, the button on the laptop's used to switch between displays usually has 3 modes -
laptop display
laptop and external screen
external screen

and the result depends on your 'extend' setting

when 'off', the external monitor displays the same as the laptop screen
when 'on', the external monitor displays the extended desktop area.

regarding two mouse pointers this company seem to be looking into it:
http://www.peanutbutterpc.com/products-Lab.aspx

and this free thing onsourceforge works, but not with extended desktops:
http://cpnmouse.sourceforge.net/

interesting, in a way..

ze2be

Post by ze2be » Sun Dec 17, 2006 5:56 am

cinningbao wrote: when 'off', the external monitor displays the same as the laptop screen
when 'on', the external monitor displays the extended desktop area.
off switches the external screen of, on sets it to extended desktop..

Theres one thing, this is a new 20" screen, and I couldnt find drivers for that exact model, but I did find for the 19" and 22" inch from the same model series, so I installed the 19" driver, being closest in size.. Could this be the problem?

Thanks for the links!