Piano-roll navigation improvement!

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
flipper

Piano-roll navigation improvement!

Post by flipper » Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:46 pm

HI

When editing in Lives piano-roll I find that I loose track (forgive the pun) of where I am, especially when zoomed in - it would be nice to have the option to have every other bar in a different shading/colour to make it clear where you are.

So bar 1 would be in the default colouring with bar 2 in a different shade and then back to bar one's colouring etc.

This really could make editing a little easier- pretty well every other host has this in place, simply for the reason I mentioned.

Flipper.

leonard

Post by leonard » Sun Dec 24, 2006 3:27 am

i think the whole midi editor needs to be revamped.
it needs to be in it's own window, instead of in the bottom corner, there also nees to be an option for viewing notes, as it crotchets and quavers et. al., as those stupid little bars are stupid and give little representation to the note in real life (i.e. zoomed in it's huge and looks big but zoomed out you realise it's small and short). there also needs to be the option to view/edit multiple tracks at once, which gives reason to putting the editor in its own window. everyone knows these things are required and i've heard the abes say themselves that these things are required, so i don't know why they're not there and development effort goes to baubels and trickets and bright shiny things to distract people from the fundamental shortcomings of the software. this has all been said a million times over, i thought i'd just remind everyone. bye!!

jamesvanderbeec

Post by jamesvanderbeec » Mon Jan 01, 2007 2:39 pm

as far as selecting multiple tracks at once. how about instead of opening a new window for each track, being able to select multiple tracks and the inactive tracks are 50% transparent(each track or loop is also a unique colour to allow for differentiation of tracks) or something so that you can see the current active track in direct relation to the timing of the other tracks.

by active and inactive I mean you select say 3(or 5 or whatever) tracks using ctrl and clicking (on windows) and the most recently clicked track is the active track and can be edited in the window(the rest are inactive), then to edit another track just ctrl click and it becomes the active track and the previously active track becomes inactive

anyway, i'm new to this, i'm sure there are better ideas...

nathannn

Post by nathannn » Mon Jan 01, 2007 9:39 pm

i have been saying this for the last 3 years...
the piano roll needs some improvements!
The Push / Novation Launch Pad / Novation Launch Pad Pro / Novation Launch Key
/ Launch Control XL / Machine MkII / Machine Studio / BeatStep / Livid OhmRGB / Livid Code V2 / Apc 40 MKII

no computers or synths

20 Copies of Ableton Live Lite.

nathannn

Post by nathannn » Thu Apr 03, 2008 12:45 am

bump for this one..
i know some one posted a a photo shop pic before of this idea..
i really would like to see this...
this has been my longest bitch about live..
its so damn simple... first bar.. white... second bar..(green? who cares what color)... third bar... white... forth bar (user definable color?)... fifth bar white...
sixth bar.. (rainbow, it really does not matter)..

look at fruity loops piano roll ( i hate fl but they have the best midi editor out there)...
come on now.. its been since 2004 we have been waiting.. just copy it..
The Push / Novation Launch Pad / Novation Launch Pad Pro / Novation Launch Key
/ Launch Control XL / Machine MkII / Machine Studio / BeatStep / Livid OhmRGB / Livid Code V2 / Apc 40 MKII

no computers or synths

20 Copies of Ableton Live Lite.

paradiddle

Post by paradiddle » Sat Apr 05, 2008 10:34 am

+1 for piano roll improvement.

I wouldn't mind also to be able to edit right in the arrangement. Sort of like inline editing.

posssu

Post by posssu » Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:48 am

+1
Juhana Lehtiniemi - Film composer with Ableton Live

posssu

Post by posssu » Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:49 am

--sorry double post--
Juhana Lehtiniemi - Film composer with Ableton Live

scarixix

Post by scarixix » Thu Apr 10, 2008 8:44 pm

Agreed !