osx network to windows help???

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
forge

osx network to windows help???

Post by forge » Tue Jan 02, 2007 6:13 am

I used to just go on the mac and do cmd+K and choose a folder on my PC and it would come up on the desktop

now my girlfriend has upgraded to tiger it doesnt work and windows share doesnt work

what am I meant to do????

HEEEEEELLLLLLLPPPPPPP

hambone1

Post by hambone1 » Tue Jan 02, 2007 6:37 am

forge

Post by forge » Tue Jan 02, 2007 6:41 am

thanks I finally worked it out

hambone1

Post by hambone1 » Tue Jan 02, 2007 6:44 am

You should be able to see any folder you set up as a shared folder:

Set up a shared folder on XP:
Right-click on the folder to be shared
Click on Properties
Click on the Sharing tab
Click on Share this folder on the network (so the folder can be read by the Mac)
Click on Allow network users to change my files (so the folder can be written-to by the Mac)
Click on Apply
Click on OK

Access the shared XP folder from OS X:
Click on Finder - Go - Connect to Server
Click on the Server and PC to connect
Click on Connect
Enter your Mac username and password
Click on OK
Select the name of the shared folder to access
Click on OK

Your shared XP folder now appears on the Mac desktop, allowing you to copy files from XP or OS X to the folder and retrieve them on the other computer.

forge

Post by forge » Tue Jan 02, 2007 7:33 am

thanks

for some reason I can access the mac on the PC but cant the other way round

when I click "connect to server" I get the window up where I can enter the address and the browse button below, but if I click on browse there's nothing next to "network"

likewise the cmd+shft+K option for network shows nothing in the finder

funny thing is I think it used to be the same the other way round on Jaguar - I used to have to view the PC's folder on the Mac and couldnt see the mac on the PC

seems like it only likes one way traffic and now it's switched round

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Tue Jan 02, 2007 11:17 am

forge wrote:thanks

for some reason I can access the mac on the PC but cant the other way round

when I click "connect to server" I get the window up where I can enter the address and the browse button below, but if I click on browse there's nothing next to "network"

likewise the cmd+shft+K option for network shows nothing in the finder

funny thing is I think it used to be the same the other way round on Jaguar - I used to have to view the PC's folder on the Mac and couldnt see the mac on the PC

seems like it only likes one way traffic and now it's switched round
i'm having this very same problem on my set up, I can see the mac with the pc but I can't see the pc with the mac, going to the finder and clicking on connect to blah blah requires me to give it some server info or something and I cant for the life of me figure out what to put there.
It was as if someone shook up a 6 foot can of blood soda and suddenly popped the top.

forge

Post by forge » Tue Jan 02, 2007 12:06 pm

yeah I think next to "network" you were supposed to see the PC, but nothing is there

I have a feeling I read somewhere ages ago when I was first setting up with Jaguar that there might be some limitation where it can only go one way - but I might be making that up

I have XP pro SP2 with windows update turned on so I think both are pretty up to date

I have a crossover lead somewhere in the chain - I seem to remember Macs taking it upon themselves to do the crossover thing - did I make that up too? or could that have something to do with it?

where's sqook when we need him?

hambone1

Post by hambone1 » Tue Jan 02, 2007 2:07 pm

Hmm.. I can see folders both ways...

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Tue Jan 02, 2007 2:36 pm

Works fine here both ways. I do it via our wireless router though, just hit CMD+K, enter the IP addy of the second computer, and you'll be able to see any folders that have been defined as shared.

dannyk

Post by dannyk » Tue Jan 02, 2007 5:05 pm

Not sure if you already have done, but for the networking to work, you do need to Windows set up with an administrator password. It's normal to have one in OSX but Windows doesn't require one so lots of people don't bother.

forge

Post by forge » Wed Jan 03, 2007 12:46 am

dannyk wrote:Not sure if you already have done, but for the networking to work, you do need to Windows set up with an administrator password. It's normal to have one in OSX but Windows doesn't require one so lots of people don't bother.
ahhh...that sounds like a possibility...might check that out...