ot, children of men

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
eyeknow

ot, children of men

Post by eyeknow » Sat Jan 06, 2007 8:47 am

anyone know where I can get an assisted suicide?

man, that is the most depressing thing ever!

glu

Post by glu » Sat Jan 06, 2007 8:50 am

saw the trailer awhile back. always fascinated with the idea that the human race can end at any moment. hope to catch the flick soon. so it was depressing? how was the soundtrack?

eyeknow

Post by eyeknow » Sat Jan 06, 2007 10:31 am

I can't remember too much about the soundtrack.......was so completely drawn in to the movie......a little sniffly at times. That never happens (well, maybe when ET came out..)

I hate the "so far left you need to call it something other than left" thing......and why there are no children but cigarrettes are still everywhere......sorry, not trying to start anti smoking.....just saying that wheather it's galaxies away or decades away, I find it hard to believe that cigs are always there.

But that's two out of a billion......two thumbs up if you can stomach the "soylent green" aspect.......some can't handle it.....

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Sat Jan 06, 2007 10:52 am

eyeknow wrote:I can't remember too much about the soundtrack.......was so completely drawn in to the movie......a little sniffly at times. That never happens (well, maybe when ET came out..)

I hate the "so far left you need to call it something other than left" thing......and why there are no children but cigarrettes are still everywhere......sorry, not trying to start anti smoking.....just saying that wheather it's galaxies away or decades away, I find it hard to believe that cigs are always there.

But that's two out of a billion......two thumbs up if you can stomach the "soylent green" aspect.......some can't handle it.....
guess i'd have to see the movie for any of that to make sense ?
It was as if someone shook up a 6 foot can of blood soda and suddenly popped the top.

eyeknow

Post by eyeknow » Sat Jan 06, 2007 11:23 am

HA! I don't wanna give it away (other than the obvious stuff from trailers.....) but it's definatly an adventure.....

Despite my depression, I do have to recommend it. I like "heady" movies and this one is at the very least "that"

davec1

Post by davec1 » Sat Jan 06, 2007 1:26 pm

best movie 2006 for me!

I like the little bits of humour, too....

Casual Beats

Post by Casual Beats » Sat Jan 06, 2007 4:29 pm

definitely going to see this movie. From the trailers, it looked like it takes a good look at what happens to human society when it loses hope. If we no longer can have children (and therefore the human race will be extinct in a couple of generations) then what is the point to most of the things that we do in our daily lives?

jb61264

Post by jb61264 » Sat Jan 06, 2007 5:19 pm

If you all like heady movies that grab you for a ride...go see Mel Gibsons Apocolypto...wow what a shocking graphic movie and the storyline behind is gripping as well. I was blown away.
3.2 GHz Windows XP, Live 7, Reason 4, FL Studio 7, Stylus RMX, Sytrus, Toxic III, Novation X-Station 49, Akai MPD24, EMu XK6, Roland MC-303, Gemini BPM5000 Mixer, MBox

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Sat Jan 06, 2007 5:44 pm

Doc Jones wrote: If we no longer can have children (and therefore the human race will be extinct in a couple of generations) then what is the point to most of the things that we do in our daily lives?
I'll never get that reasoning? I know I'm supposed to, but I just don't think my genes are so important, or my legacy is so important that I need to live through my offspring.
I'm sure that will be took the wrong way, but what I mean is if what you say is true, then most people I know have already given up hope. Most people I know think mankind will kill itself off in the next hundred years.
If that happens, then another species will come in to take the reign, and become technologically advanced etc. in a few million years.

b0unce

Post by b0unce » Sat Jan 06, 2007 6:03 pm

Machinesworking wrote:Most people I know think mankind will kill itself off in the next hundred years.
If that happens, then another species will come in to take the reign, and become technologically advanced etc. in a few million years.
if man would kill off his own species, that wouldnt be so bad, BUT - the real horror is that we will take a plethora of species with us. We've already started, and we havent even destroyed the place yet.

I guess the species you're talking about machinesworking, is a cockroach
spreader of butter

Casual Beats

Post by Casual Beats » Sat Jan 06, 2007 7:31 pm

Machinesworking wrote: I'll never get that reasoning? I know I'm supposed to, but I just don't think my genes are so important, or my legacy is so important that I need to live through my offspring.
I'm sure that will be took the wrong way, but what I mean is if what you say is true, then most people I know have already given up hope. Most people I know think mankind will kill itself off in the next hundred years.
I believe it is more of a global viewpoint. Not so much the passing on of any one person's specific gene set, but rather the survival of the species as a whole. And my guess is that the movie takes a look at that possibe scenario. If society realized that it wasn't going to exist much longer, how would it react . . . probably not favorably. For most of us, the future gives us hope. (even those who say the world is going to end, the majority of them believe (ie hope) that some type of savior (Jesus,Mahdi, ufo's etc) will come and take them away. Therefore, it seems, hope is what keeps people living day to day.

It reminded me of a quote from the movie the matrix (when neo was talking with the architect) and the architect stated "Hope, it is the quintessential human delusion . . . simultaneously the source of your greatest strength, and your greatest weakness"

glu

Post by glu » Sat Jan 06, 2007 9:04 pm

jb61264 wrote:If you all like heady movies that grab you for a ride...go see Mel Gibsons Apocolypto...wow what a shocking graphic movie and the storyline behind is gripping as well. I was blown away.
definately a ride... I enjoyed it, but I have to add something...

From an anthropological view, the film had some reeaal lame moments... laddened with christian overtones (jesus birth, our father prayer, missionaries saving the day..etc) , bad dialog/Yucatec translations, and i still find it a bit ethnocentric to depict indigenous people running through a jungle trying to kill each. Much of the population have had no education in mayan civilization, and the skewed imagery in the flick is bad in that way.

imagery was awesome. costumes were awesome.

depiction of the mayans... wah wah..

glu

Post by glu » Sat Jan 06, 2007 9:06 pm

Doc Jones wrote:definitely going to see this movie. From the trailers, it looked like it takes a good look at what happens to human society when it loses hope.
Definately a movie for the Alamo draft house... movie, a beer and pizza.. I love austin!

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Sat Jan 06, 2007 9:07 pm

Or maybe hope is a way of tricking people into accepting a lessor role in the here and now?
So why would on a day to day basis the survival of your species affect the way you go about your life? Sure a day or two of grieving, then go about living.
I feel the same way about death, I've never seen any reason to fear death in the abstract, and take precautions against it, like religion, and rooting for your favorite afterlife team! but then again I realize at least here in the states and worldwide, religion is the norm.
I guess the movie plot itself is smacking of a big sentimental mess to me. Basically a chick flick. Compare it to other end of the human race scenarios like Road Warrior! :P

glu

Post by glu » Sat Jan 06, 2007 9:30 pm

road warrior is playing at the alamo draft house too! How many other people here have a local theater that sells beer and food? Just curious..