new apple computers

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
anemon

new apple computers

Post by anemon » Mon Apr 29, 2002 1:52 pm

www.apple.com
new powerbook and a new e-apple? with all that talk the past few weeks of the 667 powerbook models being slower than the 500 modles due to a samller cache can anyone let me know if this is also true witht the new models?
b

davemanning

Hard to say...

Post by davemanning » Mon Apr 29, 2002 5:24 pm

..as the new PowerBook G4 models include 1MB of L3 cache, a feature not previously available in the PowerBook G4 line. Should be interesting to see how the 800MHz unit stacks up, though - anyone care to buy one and let us know? :-)

Dave
---
Dave Manning

FORMAT

Post by FORMAT » Tue Apr 30, 2002 10:53 am

Well what would the benefit of L3 cache for audio be? The L2 cache is still at 256, same as the "old" PBooks, and they seemed to perform horribly poorly.

FORMAT

adjust

best mactop period?

Post by adjust » Tue Apr 30, 2002 4:42 pm

at this point, is there anyone that can give a definitive answer to what the best playback performance t/ibook is on the market? i was just reading a post where the user tests put the 400mhz Ti ahead of the 550mhz Ti... and not to sound like a complete invalid, i seem to have heard someone opt for the ibook over the tibook for digital audio altogether.

Neil

Post by Neil » Tue Apr 30, 2002 6:39 pm

I say save your money on other important stuff like memory and a better hard drive.. i have a pismo g3 400 with 1gb memory and the travelstar (35 gig i think.. cant remember) hard drive which runs at 5400 rpm, which still out preforms the hard drives the new Ti books come with. my mac loves to run ableton...