Americans are NOT stupid

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
peeddrroo

Americans are NOT stupid

Post by peeddrroo » Mon Mar 12, 2007 8:37 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJuNgBkloFE

no offense, i had a good laugh....

especially with the map thing....
Last edited by peeddrroo on Thu Mar 15, 2007 12:47 am, edited 2 times in total.

mbenigni

Post by mbenigni » Mon Mar 12, 2007 8:55 pm

Oh man, that is terrifying LOL.

But just to play Devil's Advocate...

You are intelligent enough to consider that this reporter's footage was edited for comic effect right? I'm sure he encountered at least one or two Americans in his travels who could spell their name, etc.

I'd further postulate that you could find plenty of droolers in the UK if you looked hard enough.

Good stuff anyway. :)

Silverfish

Post by Silverfish » Mon Mar 12, 2007 8:59 pm

God dammit..... :oops:

I knew the answer to every one of those questions without batting an eye.

On behalf of sentient, multi-cellular beings in the US, I apologize.

IanBuzz

Post by IanBuzz » Mon Mar 12, 2007 9:03 pm

Wow those people are retards! 8O

D K

Post by D K » Mon Mar 12, 2007 9:04 pm

oh shit, that's hilarious!
by the sound of the accents, looks like most of the footage came from the south,
which makes sense lol...
true though, you can unfortunately compile that type of footage anywhere in the world...albeit being among the richest nations, you think the educational system would be better :roll:

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Mon Mar 12, 2007 9:05 pm

Someone posted this a while back, Top Gear tries to drive across Alabama, ends up running for the border.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ky7SVILAcAU

Yes, americans are that bad.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

NorthernMonkey

Post by NorthernMonkey » Mon Mar 12, 2007 9:09 pm

Tone Deft wrote:Someone posted this a while back, Top Gear tries to drive across Alabama, ends up running for the border.

That was a classic, I was pissing myself watching that; I've never been to the U of States A, was it real or a setup?
..?

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Mon Mar 12, 2007 9:11 pm

NorthernMonkey wrote:
Tone Deft wrote:Someone posted this a while back, Top Gear tries to drive across Alabama, ends up running for the border.

That was a classic, I was pissing myself watching that; I've never been to the U of States A, was it real or a setup?
That is totally real for the southern US.
In my life
Why do I smile
-Moz

peeddrroo

Post by peeddrroo » Mon Mar 12, 2007 9:12 pm

mbenigni wrote:You are intelligent enough to consider that this reporter's footage was edited for comic effect right? I'm sure he encountered at least one or two Americans in his travels who could spell their name, etc.

I'd further postulate that you could find plenty of droolers in the UK if you looked hard enough.

indeed tis has been edited. and i agree you could find such droolers in the UK.
not in france though. :P

NorthernMonkey

Post by NorthernMonkey » Mon Mar 12, 2007 9:12 pm

Tone Deft wrote:
NorthernMonkey wrote:

The north's worse?
..?

nebulae

Post by nebulae » Mon Mar 12, 2007 9:13 pm

OMG

D K

Post by D K » Mon Mar 12, 2007 9:14 pm

peeddrroo wrote:
mbenigni wrote:You are intelligent enough to consider that this reporter's footage was edited for comic effect right? I'm sure he encountered at least one or two Americans in his travels who could spell their name, etc.

indeed tis has been edited. and i agree you could find such droolers in the UK.
not in france though. :P
bah! i tour france almost every year!
you guys don't even know what deodorant is :lol:

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Mon Mar 12, 2007 9:15 pm

NorthernMonkey wrote:
Tone Deft wrote:
NorthernMonkey wrote: That was a classic, I was pissing myself watching that; I've never been to the U of States A, was it real or a setup?
The north's worse?
The north isn't dripping with racism and hate like the south it. Basically, avoid the south, but there are good people anywhere you go.
In my life
Why do I smile
-Moz

D K

Post by D K » Mon Mar 12, 2007 9:16 pm

Tone Deft wrote:
NorthernMonkey wrote:
Tone Deft wrote: That is totally real for the southern US.
The north's worse?
The north isn't dripping with racism and hate like the south it. Basically, avoid the south, but there are good people anywhere you go.
you've never been to boston or detroit eh?

smutek

Post by smutek » Mon Mar 12, 2007 9:27 pm

@ 3 min 36 seconds: "Ok, I'm a little confused about the Israelis and the Palestinians, which one's are the one's throwing the rocks.."

I've seen this before, and I kind of feel sorry for these people because they are being made a mockery of and don't even know it.

But it also pisses me off because though it is definitely not an accurate representation of all Americans it is an accurate representation of something that is very wrong with my country.

Obviously the people who did know the answers to the questions were edited out to make a point. I'd like to see a survey such as this conducted in a more scientific manner, with percentages shown for how many questions were answered correctly vs. how many were answered incorrectly. That would be interesting, and I am confident that the same point would be made. It would be even more interesting to break the study up into groups based on political affiliation/ideology, income, and race.

It reminds me of a chain email I received from a coworker urging me to ban all Citgo gas stations and warning me that Citgo had recently changed its name in an attempt to avoid any ramifications due to anti-Chavez sentiments in the US. I asked her about the email and she told me she adamantly agreed with it. I asked if she knew who the "evil Chavez was" and she told me "yeah, he's over there with Iraq and Al Qaeda and them isn't he?" and when I asked her where Venezuela was she told me the middle east.

I don;t have a link, but not to long ago I read about a survey conducted amongst recently graduated high school students shortly after the start of the current Iraq war. The large majority of them could not find Iraq on a map. A large majority could not find various continents when asked, and there was even a small group who could not find the United States on a map.

It's no mistake, this dumbing down of the population and ramping up of national pride. A dangerous mix for sure.