delay in monitoring

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
som[e]

delay in monitoring

Post by som[e] » Sat Apr 28, 2007 5:47 am

hey all,
ok, i occasionally like to have monitoring turned on when i'm recording an audio track into live, especially if i want to hear how the device chain affects how what i'm playing sounds. the thing is, there is about a half second delay that is really really annoying and sometimes confusing and disorienting. i've gone through the thing in the live tutorials about reducing delay but it didn't seem to have any effect. i'm just recording through the 1/8 inch mini-phone mic input on my computer, if that makes any difference. thanks, later all.

--som[e]

nobbystylus

Post by nobbystylus » Sat Apr 28, 2007 10:23 am

you can try reducing buffer down as low as it can go before it starts crackling, and you might get better response with a firewire audio card, but it is part of the nature of monitoring that latency is introduced.. bummer..
http://www.myspace.com/wardclerk
http://www.myspace.com/bighairufreqs
LIVE 8.21/ Reaktor 5.51/VDMX/Quartz Composer

som[e]

Post by som[e] » Sat Apr 28, 2007 11:15 pm

ah, that sucks. thanks for the reply.

Akshara

Post by Akshara » Sun Apr 29, 2007 9:11 pm

The reason that's happening is because of the sound card. The 1/8" input on most motherboards are not designed for low latency throughput. Latency is the time it takes for audio to move into the computer, through the software and back out again. Besides quality issues, this is the biggest reason to invest in a pro/sumer audio interface with low latency drivers.

Latency applies to midi as well. A high latency will produce a delay between pressing a key and hearing a sound, lower latency removes the delay.

For audio, anything below 30ms should be fine for most people to monitor what they're playing, though the lower one can go, the better it sounds - anything below 18ms is barely discernible to the human ear. Midi requires a lower latency than audio to be responsive, with approx 11ms being the discernability threshold.

Either the M-Audio Fast Track Pro USB for $199 or the M-Audio Firewire 410 for $299 will get the job done with fairly good quality. If you're really on a budget, and just want to get a lower latency input, then the Behringer UCA202 for $30 will most likely get rid of your latency problems. Good luck.