Hot New Controller ?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
leeboy

Hot New Controller ?

Post by leeboy » Sat May 04, 2002 5:50 pm

Has anyone seen this Wave Idea Bitstream Pro ?

http://www.waveidea.com

It looks pretty cool. Well, actualy it LOOKS pretty nasty but I reckon it would be great in use.....

BTW Who makes the NI 4 Contoller and 10 controller that I have seen mentioned ?

leeboy

Post by leeboy » Sat May 04, 2002 5:52 pm

Oh yeh. Can anyone tell me if the Midiman Oxygen 8 has a midi merge function ? It would be great to use that and a Pocket Control and leave my midi interface at home.....

Neil

Post by Neil » Sat May 04, 2002 8:31 pm

Ive been checking the bitstream pro out for a while.. unlike the oxygen 8(which i use) the bitstream pro is not a usb plug and play... in order to use it, you will need a midi input (i use a laptop, that would mean to buy something like a usb to midi adapter) i like that it has so many knobs and sliders combination.. it would take full advantage of ableton live's midi setting feature.. thinking of picking up one.. but the cheapest i found em for was 499, which is the only thing stopping me right now...... as for the midi merge question... the oxygen 8 has two midi outputs only(usb and keyboard), and no inputs.. so as for a midimerge.. nope..

chris_borgia

Post by chris_borgia » Sat May 04, 2002 10:02 pm

the 4 control is a Native Instruments product, but we discontinued it months ago. The 10 control is made and still sold by IBK.

::chris::

bioroid

Post by bioroid » Sun May 05, 2002 12:52 am

Oxygen 8 does not have a midi in port so it cannot be used for midi merge.

bioroid

leeboy

Post by leeboy » Sun May 05, 2002 9:27 am

Shame about the Oxygen 8. Chris, can't find any info about the Control 10 on the NI website or anything about IBK.....

mark0

Post by mark0 » Sun May 05, 2002 6:58 pm

Hopefully the surface one controller by midiman (http://www.midiman.net/products/midiman/surfaceone.php) should be out soon - also check out http://www.ymouse.com/ - they've got some keyboard things you could use for triggering samples.. 8)

Neil

Post by Neil » Sun May 05, 2002 7:37 pm

the surface one is out tho.. check out
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/sid ... e_id/58477

tho its way too expensive tho.. for 699 .... and it has less knobs... 16 vs. 32 .. same amount of sliders..

it does look cool as hell tho.. but looks isn't that inportant when control comes in play.. i think i rather have a rack mountable, durable looking controller than something thats cool looking but would break within the first year i had it..

leeboy

Post by leeboy » Sun May 05, 2002 7:41 pm

I spoke to Midiman UK last week and they said the Surface One wasn't available until July / August. Maybe it is in the US.....

harb

no .... one

Post by harb » Mon May 06, 2002 5:57 pm

The Surface One is not out in the States either, should be out in July.

Have more time than money? Take a look at this DIY controller.
http://www.ucapps.de

harb

mark0

Post by mark0 » Mon May 06, 2002 6:38 pm

Just wondering if anyone else is waiting for the Surface One with baited breath like me.....I reckon it could the perfect controller for live....

what do other people think of it?
it is expensive, but seems as though it can do a hell of alot.

I think controllers for live are a v. important subject, and I'm still not sure which one to get - has anyone had really good experience with a certain controller? I'd really like to know.. :D

ryansupak

midi controllers

Post by ryansupak » Mon May 06, 2002 7:47 pm

since the keyboard and mouse are implemented in such a well-thought-out fashion, i use the ART X-15 foot controller.

basically, 2 midi "knobs" and 8 midi buttons under your feet. great for crossfades.

rs

leeboy

Post by leeboy » Mon May 06, 2002 10:17 pm

I for one am very excited about the Surface One. If this thing works (and you can put a guitar strap on it) it could really become a brand new electronic instrument, the likes of which hasn't been seen since the thermamin. Except it will be like having 21 theramins and ten arms.

leeboy

Post by leeboy » Mon May 06, 2002 10:27 pm

Harb, those german Midibox DIY controllers are the bomb ! Yes ! I'm taking six months off to build a 64 pot controller in to an old double neck Les Paul guitar......

FrankH

Post by FrankH » Tue May 07, 2002 9:58 am

> build a 64 pot controller in to an old double neck Les Paul guitar...

leeboy rulez!!!

f