Resampling a sample?

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
eib

Resampling a sample?

Post by eib » Thu Sep 20, 2007 4:21 pm

Hello, I recently got myself a MacBook and I'm quite new to everything, including Ableton Live I got with it. On XP I used FL6, Reason and Adobe Audition for production. In FruityLoops and Reason, there was a way to slice a sample into segments, so I could play each part of the sample on a MIDI keyboard. I haven't seen the same option in Ableton. Is there a way to do so?

laird

Post by laird » Thu Sep 20, 2007 4:34 pm

not endogenous to Live, no.
But check out: http://www.ableton.com/forum/viewtopic. ... empo+slice
There are plugins, like Recycle! or Phatmatik, which will slice loops inside live.

There are also tricks for chopping up audio that Live can do that slicers can't (I think the manual has a tutorial on chopping up beats using the "Clip Start Envelope". Also check manual for Follow Actions for more cool things you can do with Live that Recycle! won't do.

eib

Post by eib » Thu Sep 20, 2007 4:56 pm

It's funny I didn't come to think of Recycle myself as I used it before on Windows. :p
But thanks anyways. :)

cavern

Post by cavern » Thu Sep 20, 2007 6:10 pm

Just open Impulse into a Midi track and have the sample ready in an audio track above the midi track in session view. Highlight the part of the sample you want, then press down on your keyboard until the midi track is highlighted...drag and drop the sample into one of the slots in Impulse.

Check the impulse / creating beats video tutorial.

Michael-SW

Post by Michael-SW » Mon Sep 24, 2007 8:22 am

You can also slice the sample inside Live. Either place i in arrange view, unfold the track so you see the audio vaweform, mark with the mouse and then do Split. Or just copy the sample a couple of times i Session and adjust the start and end points. Either way, then just drop the slices into Impulse. You might have to adjust the envelopes.