deep chord & basic channel dub chords production techniq

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
d_u_b_ios

deep chord & basic channel dub chords production techniques

Post by d_u_b_ios » Wed Nov 07, 2007 2:34 pm

im messing around since months, actually allready 2years to get the right sound towards deep chord or the basic channel stuff.

is anyone one the same topic.

the hole ambiente/reverb in these tracks, simular to vladislaf delay...how you can do that..such a mistery to me.

thanks for contributing and big up to the peoples behind live.

------------
powerbook g4 1.96 / osx
novation sl25
live 6 / reason 3.5 / zebra

ethios4

Post by ethios4 » Wed Nov 07, 2007 3:01 pm

I found Dub Scrolls yesterday...good dub tips on there...

d_u_b_ios

dub scrolls

Post by d_u_b_ios » Wed Nov 07, 2007 3:29 pm

very good one. this is true value. thanks..... are you on the reverb thing too like the deep chord stuff a.s.o. ? :?:

octex

Post by octex » Wed Nov 07, 2007 6:58 pm

Tape delays and spring reverbs add a lot to getting this kind of sound/atmosphere...
+ using old analog equipment especially synths. Plugins and V.A. synths usually come out to clean sounding, but it helps if you run them through some hardware tube compressors...

ethios4

Re: dub scrolls

Post by ethios4 » Wed Nov 07, 2007 10:02 pm

d_u_b_ios wrote:very good one. this is true value. thanks..... are you on the reverb thing too like the deep chord stuff a.s.o. ? :?:
I'm not too familiar with dub artists, but I'd like to be! I like to use dub production techniques in other music, such as hiphop and trance. A friend of mine is getting me into dub, though, and we're going to start doing some live dub around here.

stutter

Post by stutter » Wed Nov 07, 2007 10:03 pm

I have an Octex mix that was incredible - podcast from some site, about 3 hours long, dubbed, hazed electronic goodness. I will be checking that link in your sig.

markaugust

Post by markaugust » Wed Nov 07, 2007 10:09 pm

the whole basic channel family uses a lot of vintage hardware stuff; oberheims, roland space echo, all that kind of stuff...
not that vst wont get you there, but a lot more work to get that type of dirty sounds
resonator can get you very nice results if for example used on just a rhytmic low end loop or the opposite, just a high spike generator triggering the resonator.
i'm remixing audision at the moment; which is also that same area of sound, and almost all the separate tracks have this enormous hiss, which sort of explains it straight away :wink:

d_u_b_ios

Post by d_u_b_ios » Thu Nov 08, 2007 6:51 am

[quote="stutter"]I have an Octex mix that was incredible - podcast from some site, about 3 hours long, dubbed, hazed electronic goodness. I will be checking that link in your sig.[/quote]

yes, big up..octex is realy in this area. i found the links...very good ones.
http://www.octex.si/audio.html
http://www.filter27.com/archives/2006/1 ... x.php#more

cheers

d_u_b_ios

Post by d_u_b_ios » Thu Nov 08, 2007 7:41 am

[quote="markaugust"]the whole basic channel family uses a lot of vintage hardware stuff; oberheims, roland space echo, all that kind of stuff...
not that vst wont get you there, but a lot more work to get that type of dirty sounds
resonator can get you very nice results if for example used on just a rhytmic low end loop or the opposite, just a high spike generator triggering the resonator.
i'm remixing audision at the moment; which is also that same area of sound, and almost all the separate tracks have this enormous hiss, which sort of explains it straight away :wink:[/quote]

i heard, about these magic hardware set-up. well they been ahead of many things in the 90's, back these days live was not around, vst's started maybe late 90's.
thats right with the reasonator...i allready chained it into my racks to see where it gets the right touch. . you mean with a spike generator, adding vinyl distortion to some pole glitches and then running it through?

your productions are very sweet and deep too...

thanks for the tip 8)

phil909

Post by phil909 » Thu Nov 08, 2007 9:08 am

check out 'akkord' from the native instruments electronic instruments 2 package.
there's a reaktor ensemble for it too.
you can get some dubby deepchord-esque synthlines and delays up and running fairly easily. well worth a look.

smartass303

Post by smartass303 » Thu Nov 08, 2007 9:15 am

Hmm,
isn`t it always the same?
Signal > Delay > EQ > Feedback Loops > EQ?
and
Signal > Reverb > (Reverb) Automation?

Sure with Vsts its not getting that dirty and gritty like with the Hardware stuff, but on the other hand Basic Channel IS THE SHIT!

I think dubbing is a haptic experience. You need a mixer, the delays, reverbs and guitar fx or at least some knobs to turn.

d_u_b_ios

Post by d_u_b_ios » Thu Nov 08, 2007 1:25 pm

[quote="phil909"]check out 'akkord' from the native instruments electronic instruments 2 package.
you can get some dubby deepchord-esque synthlines and delays up and running fairly easily. well worth a look.[/quote]

thanks for the tip phil 909. well, this would lead to another invest first on traktor then the instruments2 right?. is traktor not seeking up too much cpu on my pb g4 1.96 2gbram? tonight, i will test shortly reaktor..to see if i get around with it..

d_u_b_ios

Post by d_u_b_ios » Thu Nov 08, 2007 1:37 pm

[quote="smartass303"]Hmm,
isn`t it always the same?
Signal > Delay > EQ > Feedback Loops > EQ?
and
Signal > Reverb > (Reverb) Automation?

Sure with Vsts its not getting that dirty and gritty like with the Hardware stuff, but on the other hand Basic Channel IS THE SHIT!

I think dubbing is a haptic experience. You need a mixer, the delays, reverbs and guitar fx or at least some knobs to turn.[/quote]

cheers, smartass303, thats what im doing at the moment..but its realy tuff to get to a propper output. i'm trying with operater & zebra, chords & resonator and then the mentioned routing....

maybe it's not realy working to me, because of the basic_channel/moritz v.O_ virus high_leveled burned in my brain. youre right, this is the shit. but there are new ones like deep chord or the octex (s. this tread) which are very simular and deep. im very happy that you guys are sharing some info about these technics, so i wont end up alone in the insane asylum :wink:

d_u_b_ios

Post by d_u_b_ios » Wed Nov 14, 2007 9:16 pm

[quote="phil909"]check out 'akkord' from the native instruments electronic instruments 2 package.
you can get some dubby deepchord-esque synthlines and delays up and running fairly easily. well worth a look.[/quote]

im just had a quick introduction on akkord. a real deal....lots of different usefull functions. i will have a try on it. did you meant the berlin ghana thing to start with..
:wink:

d_u_b_ios

Post by d_u_b_ios » Wed Nov 14, 2007 9:35 pm

[quote="markaugust"]the whole basic channel family uses a lot of vintage hardware stuff; oberheims, roland space echo, all that kind of stuff...
i'm remixing audision at the moment; which is also that same area of sound, and almost all the separate tracks have this enormous hiss, which sort of explains it straight away :wink:[/quote]

ok, i was shure about it that it will be lot of work......so i will learn more too..
i did work with reasonator, but i think im not using it right, or the way you suggested. will go for it again and again. question: low end loop = ?

most respect