Acapella warping

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
Hayz

Acapella warping

Post by Hayz » Sun Nov 11, 2007 2:50 pm

HI there, wondered if anyone experienced with Ableton 6 could help. I now know how to warp a track properly but wondered about warping an acapella. I originally started chopping up the acapella (hip-hop) and manually fitted sections of the lyrics in the places I thought they sounded best and lined them up with the beats of the instrumental. However, does anyone know if and how I should be warping the whole acapella before I chop it up and fit it in my production as the lyrics can drift in and out at times? Best wishes Hayz

djgroovy

Post by djgroovy » Sun Nov 11, 2007 5:01 pm

The best is to get the original track where the acapella comes from, line them up in 2 tracks and warp the original first, then copy/edit that warping to the acapella.

Hayz

Post by Hayz » Sun Nov 11, 2007 5:25 pm

thanks groovy :D

djgroovy

Post by djgroovy » Sun Nov 11, 2007 6:20 pm

8)

stesmith

Post by stesmith » Tue Nov 13, 2007 12:23 am

how do you copy the warping

TheHollow

Post by TheHollow » Tue Nov 13, 2007 7:06 am

something to note perhaps is that both tracks will need to be exactly the same length for the copied warping to fit... obviously if there is an instrumental intro the acapella doesn't always start with silence to compensate... ;)

found this out doing exactly this last night..

something that should be obvious but can be easily overlooked i guess..

love captain obvious. :D haha :oops:
LIVE: Macbook Pro 2.2 | 2gb Ram | Live | Nuendo | Komplete | Alesis Photon X25 | PC-50 | Trigger Finger | Firewire Audiophille | 250gb Ext. HD. |
AT HOME: as above but - Motu 828MkII usb2 | Juno 6

Rogue Scrunt

Post by Rogue Scrunt » Tue Nov 13, 2007 4:29 pm

it takes some work.

try listening to the metronome, or putting a breakbeat behind it

is it a rap or a song?
for lots of great records, check out,
http://stores.ebay.com/id=64360994?ssPageName=ME:F:ST

lucio_k

Post by lucio_k » Fri Nov 16, 2007 7:37 am

there's not a way to do some tapping to live "understand" the rhythm or another trick? i still do not warp my acapellas properly..
Lucio K
-----------------------
www.submusica.com/luciok

robleighton22

Post by robleighton22 » Tue Nov 27, 2007 6:09 pm

look for the peaks in the audio wave. generally thats where ur beats should hit. obviously wont always start on the first beat. so listening to the orginial tune should give u an idea where the start point. once u know the correct start point of the vocals and where the first beat should hit, make a basic drum loop over the vocals, or enable the metronome, and the rest should b fairly straight forward from then onwards.

lucio_k

Post by lucio_k » Tue Nov 27, 2007 7:37 pm

I got it. it must be following the metronome and your ears. First, is necessary delete all yellow automatic warping. Then, you set the beguinning (1), the bpm as closer as possible and put in the grid manipulating the grey markers. is ir a rap or electronic music acapella, is more easy. If is not, you need to put bar by bar in the correct time, and fix the parts you see its in the sync (with the warp marker, two clips).
but for sure you need to have a good notion of rhythm.. If you don't, use the other formulas already described here.
thanks
Lucio K
-----------------------
www.submusica.com/luciok

ian412

Post by ian412 » Thu Nov 29, 2007 3:29 am

Can you copy warping from one track to another? Or do you need to warp each track separatly?

ian412

Post by ian412 » Sun Dec 09, 2007 12:49 am

*Bump*

Is there any way to copy warping??

101-ism

Post by 101-ism » Mon Dec 10, 2007 9:21 am

yep, there is..

Once you've warped your first audio file, make a duplicate copy of it onto another track. Then drag your un-warped audio onto the duplicates "clip view" name display. This is shown by having the duplicate clip selected. The name display is in the box where you have the time signature and grove settings for the clip.

By dragging a new audio file onto an already warped ones name display in the clip view, you maintain the warp makers but replace the audio file.

But make sure both the original unwarped audio files are the same length before doing this. If there not, then just re-export or consolidate them in live to be the same length.

The other way to do it would be.. Have both files selected when warping the first audio file. Just mute the other track with the second file on it.

When you have more than one file selected that are the same length, Live applies the warp markers to all selected audio. This is what I do when correcting live drum takes. Just listen to one audio track whilst applying warp markers, knowing that your applying it to all selected.

peace

ian412

Post by ian412 » Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:02 pm

The other way to do it would be.. Have both files selected when warping the first audio file. Just mute the other track with the second file on it.
Have both files selected in clip view??

I am trying to do this, but with no luck.