what was your most MEDIOCRE gear purchase ?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
b0unce

what was your most MEDIOCRE gear purchase ?

Post by b0unce » Thu Aug 28, 2008 2:25 pm

once upon a time, in a music shop on a busy street...I bought a red kazoo. It was my favourite kazoo. It made a funny noise. The man who sold it to me had a big nose. I made funny noises everywhere for about 2 years. Everyone said my kazoo was so good. It looked nice outside in the sun. Then one day I traded it for a roland tape-delay and a 303. I've been a superstar acid king ever since. I made enough money to buy another kazoo but it was blue. I'll never forget my red kazoo. The blue one doesn't make as funny a noise. I have sleepless nights thinking about my red kazoo and my crown weighs heavy on my head as I go through each day trying to fill a hole in my heart that can only be filled by a red kazoo. I start a new job next week. I live in a detached 5 bedroom property. It has a garden that cats play in.

what was your most mediocre gear purchase ?
spreader of butter

weeddigger

Post by weeddigger » Thu Aug 28, 2008 2:47 pm

The other day I bought a box of phillies, and they were doubled-leafed, which can be good for slow burns, but also a pain in the throat...

Another day I bought a box of phillies, and I guess they were old, cause the guts kept getting stuck to the leaf. I tried to seperate the two, but they tried to stay together, stuck. Messed up everything...

I hate surgery...

ethios4

Post by ethios4 » Thu Aug 28, 2008 3:24 pm

One day I was leaving a bookstore, and a white van rolled by. These guys who looked just like Jay and Silent Bob told me they had a great deal I might be interested in....they were supposed to deliver these great high-end speakers to someone, but the warehouse fucked up and gave them an extra set. Since there was no record of this they wanted to just sell them for cheap, and no one would known about it. Win-win situation for sure. They even had nice specs sheets for them and everything, but they had to get back to the warehouse so no one would be suspicious....no time to test them out.

I had to go to the bank to pull out $400, so they followed me over to the ATM. I pulled out $400, paid the guys, and got my 2 boxes of speakers. They even asked if I had an extra joint to spare, for them hooking me up on such a great deal. :oops:

Well, I got them home and quickly realized I had been duped. There were speakers in the boxes, but the lowest of the low end...totally shoddy cabinet work, the carpet was already coming ungliued, the speakers didn't even have a brand. :sigh:

So, that was my big lesson in my own gullibility. Don't by shit out of the back of Jay & Silent Bob's van!!

inmazevo

Post by inmazevo » Thu Aug 28, 2008 3:41 pm

Can't keep it to just one, but right in the middle between useful and wtf (and I'm assuming fits as mediocre) is easy:

- Roland MC307... it was purchased to replace an MC303, which utterly sucked... while it IS a better unit in almost every way, that's not actually saying much, and it pretty much just sits there... but at least I got it cheap
- EMU Proteus X2... it works, but they forgot to mention the dongle on the box (2x2 midi interface), and it kills project load times because of its pathetic sample loading requirements... all for a $99 rompler with dated sounds... again, at least I got it cheap
- wusikstation 3... got this as part of a group buy, so again I got it cheap... it's a decent unit, particularly for the cost, but for the life of me I don't seem to have a time when I actually want to use it, or learn it, or otherwise interact with it... perhaps if I didn't have a few supersynths to compare it to, I'd use it more, but as it stands now I always have several others I'd much rather use

Those three are basically equal in their "not horrible but don't use them and sort of wish I didn't have them" group. They were cheap, but combined it would have been enough money to get something sweet and NOT mediocre.

- zevo
Last edited by inmazevo on Thu Aug 28, 2008 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
infinite density, zero volume

Tweaking Knobs

Re: what was your most MEDIOCRE gear purchase ?

Post by Tweaking Knobs » Thu Aug 28, 2008 3:42 pm

Ozonic, dont you buy m audio shit, shit quality , shit suport.

landrvr1

Post by landrvr1 » Thu Aug 28, 2008 3:59 pm

weak

funky shit

Post by funky shit » Thu Aug 28, 2008 4:03 pm

korg padkontrol

wat the jesus?

t1mp

Post by t1mp » Thu Aug 28, 2008 4:36 pm

a pair of drumsticks. they were purple.

db2

Post by db2 » Thu Aug 28, 2008 5:14 pm

My very first drum machine, a Roland-505. It was so weak sounding, but I was soooo happy! Then my friends got an 808 and a 303. They weren't mine but they ended up at my house a lot cause I knew how to use them well.

Nogi

Post by Nogi » Thu Aug 28, 2008 6:11 pm

Did not live up to the hype:

slicedbread

Post by slicedbread » Thu Aug 28, 2008 7:08 pm

ethios4 wrote:One day I was leaving a bookstore, and a white van rolled by. These guys who looked just like Jay and Silent Bob told me they had a great deal I might be interested in....they were supposed to deliver these great high-end speakers to someone, but the warehouse fucked up and gave them an extra set. Since there was no record of this they wanted to just sell them for cheap, and no one would known about it. Win-win situation for sure. They even had nice specs sheets for them and everything, but they had to get back to the warehouse so no one would be suspicious....no time to test them out.

I had to go to the bank to pull out $400, so they followed me over to the ATM. I pulled out $400, paid the guys, and got my 2 boxes of speakers. They even asked if I had an extra joint to spare, for them hooking me up on such a great deal. :oops:

Well, I got them home and quickly realized I had been duped. There were speakers in the boxes, but the lowest of the low end...totally shoddy cabinet work, the carpet was already coming ungliued, the speakers didn't even have a brand. :sigh:

So, that was my big lesson in my own gullibility. Don't by shit out of the back of Jay & Silent Bob's van!!
no joke. the exact same scenario happened to me twice. exact same story down to the spec sheet. once in front of best buy and the other at a gas station. only didfference is i told them to fellate themselves.

what city are you in?

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Thu Aug 28, 2008 7:13 pm

OLD scam, they tried me back in high school, literally 20 years ago. luckily I started my audio snob phase and asked for the brand. they target young guys.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_van_speakers
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

inmazevo

Post by inmazevo » Thu Aug 28, 2008 7:29 pm

Tone Deft wrote:OLD scam, they tried me back in high school, literally 20 years ago. luckily I started my audio snob phase and asked for the brand. they target young guys.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_van_speakers
They kept wanting me to get in the back of the van...
Sick bastards!!

- zevo
infinite density, zero volume

cosmosuave

Post by cosmosuave » Thu Aug 28, 2008 7:34 pm

MD SPS-1 DARKENERGY JX-3P (PG200) Mbase01
http://soundcloud.com/cosmosuave
http://www.cosmosuave.com/

cosmosuave

Post by cosmosuave » Thu Aug 28, 2008 7:34 pm

MD SPS-1 DARKENERGY JX-3P (PG200) Mbase01
http://soundcloud.com/cosmosuave