deep chord & basic channel dub chords production techniq

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
john gordon

Post by john gordon » Wed Jul 02, 2008 9:19 pm

bump

jeskola01

Re: deep chord & basic channel dub chords production techniq

Post by jeskola01 » Fri Sep 18, 2009 2:31 pm

Bump... and

http://www.textura.org/reviews/tenquest ... oultek.htm

That might shed some light.

Should take the chance to do some shameless promotion

Did a couple of tracks in this style with Live and Massive:

http://soundcloud.com/breakitdown/untitled-2-11

&

http://soundcloud.com/breakitdown/untitled-199

You may like!
Last edited by jeskola01 on Fri Sep 18, 2009 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

m:o

Post by m:o » Fri Sep 18, 2009 2:38 pm

pulled a post of mine from some time ago:
So, i've made a Rack some time ago, which covers pretty much the joy's of nice wonky-dub-chords.
feed it into sends, add efx (or not..), tweak, abuse, have fun with it.

here
cheers

jeskola01

Post by jeskola01 » Wed Nov 04, 2009 2:28 pm

Hey posted this in the tips and tricks part of the forum, not sure how many folks read that... so thought would post here.

I have created a collection of Dub techno synth patches for Massive.
The patches all have several macro controls set up in them for you to customise the sounds.

You can hear samples of the patches here:
http://soundcloud.com/breakitdown/massive-patches

Each patch is separated by a clave, the patch loops and you can hear some tweaking of the macro controls on each pass of the loop.

I have been asked a lot about the sound designs of some of my other tracks - so I created a track "Low Winter Sun" with these patches.
The track can be found here to download:

http://stevefoulds.bandcamp.com/album/low-winter-sun

If you purchase the track I will send on the patches via email ! Please give me 24hrs to send on as i’m not always at my computer :)

djdevonsheffield

Post by djdevonsheffield » Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:53 pm

thanks so much for this

I just bought Ableton and want to produce some blunted ass techno :P

contakt321

Post by contakt321 » Thu Nov 05, 2009 4:15 pm

Nice one Jeskola - just bought :)

sawanotsuru_

Post by sawanotsuru_ » Thu Nov 05, 2009 6:34 pm

i'll write this from the basic level so anyone can try this:

a lot of it is the actual chord you use = i.e. what you tune the different oscillators to. obviously you'll want some white noise in there to sound proper basic channel-y

if you get a chord thats nice and dissonant without sounding too far (jazz chords are good for this) out it can really sound good, try root note (aka leave first osc where it is) then tune the next one up 1 semi tone and then another up 5... that's a decent place to start...

then set up a filter envelope, fast attack (you can also use a slow attack/fade up, that sounds good in some contexts, but if you're going for that percussive chord sound then stick with fast attack) medium release to let the chord ring out a bit (this is probably the most important part of the envelope and where most of the action happens) but then close to give it that signature dub sound... followed by a low sustain, much lower than the decay and then release to taste

then just get a nice rhythmic pattern going with your basic chord, leave that loop playing and set up some midi knobs to control the filter envelope... the decay is the main thing to tweak imho but if you raise up the sustain then the release also comes in to play a lot. you can also mess with the amp envelope too for extra control

from there on in it's a case of sending the shit to reverbs and delays on return tracks. try putting some resonators ( ioften tune the resonator to the same chord) on top of your send fx too...

subtlety is key

d-track

Post by d-track » Thu Nov 05, 2009 8:06 pm

Fluxion is the shit.
BUT
this old simple dirty delayed reverbed chord with a bassdrum and a bassline with some noise and one hihat s gone.
dont u want to go further?
i mean progress....
dub techno is not what it was 10 years ago.
nor the equipments.

steve-o

Post by steve-o » Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:00 pm

I was listening to Deepchord -Echospace all morning.

@M:O - I can't dl that patch through Rapidshare because it requires a premium account. Any chance you can email it to me?

nullpunkt

Post by nullpunkt » Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:45 pm

It's not that "Basic Channel" thing, but a few days ago I tried to do some noise-modulation. And - while working - an Ableton Live-structure grew to this little (not yet finished) test-track:

nullpunkt - Melanin Dub

eightbit

Post by eightbit » Fri Nov 06, 2009 3:19 pm

jeskola01 wrote:I have been asked a lot about the sound designs of some of my other tracks - so I created a track "Low Winter Sun" with these patches.

If you purchase the track I will send on the patches via email ! Please give me 24hrs to send on as i’m not always at my computer :)
Great tracks! Have not had a chance to test out the massive patches (although I do have them waiting in my email inbox). I think I'll run back and purchase the rest of those tracks off of bandcamp.

jeskola01

Post by jeskola01 » Wed Nov 11, 2009 8:57 am

eightbit wrote:
jeskola01 wrote:I have been asked a lot about the sound designs of some of my other tracks - so I created a track "Low Winter Sun" with these patches.

Great tracks! Have not had a chance to test out the massive patches (although I do have them waiting in my email inbox). I think I'll run back and purchase the rest of those tracks off of bandcamp.
Thanks for buying. Did you find the patches useful?

stjohn

Post by stjohn » Wed Nov 11, 2009 12:28 pm

nice track Jeskola.

I hate to say it but i think dub techno is the new MNML. its very 'cool' and 'in' at the moment, and the nature of the sound means that they are all very similar, identical even in some cases. just to say Jeskola, this statement didnt include your track, which was fresh, lush and very well paced.

jeskola01

Post by jeskola01 » Wed Nov 11, 2009 12:49 pm

stjohn wrote:nice track Jeskola.

I hate to say it but i think dub techno is the new MNML. its very 'cool' and 'in' at the moment, and the nature of the sound means that they are all very similar, identical even in some cases. just to say Jeskola, this statement didnt include your track, which was fresh, lush and very well paced.
Thanks (i guess you had to fit that statement on to the end :lol: )

I hear what your saying - the whole sound seems to have been carbon copied over and over from the past 20 years.
However, there are some great artists to check out still, and although the sound can be very samey soemtimes (also using the same minor chords all the time doesn;t help), i think there is still legs in it... And those synth noises are just immense, never get tired of hearing them :P Still can't beat a bit of Deepchord at this time of year!

eightbit

Post by eightbit » Wed Nov 11, 2009 3:09 pm

jeskola01 wrote:Thanks for buying. Did you find the patches useful?
Yeah, actually. Good solid patches. I'm finishing up a couple of other things at the moment, but have had it in my head to do some dark/dubby kind of ambient pieces for a while, and these will certainly help.